Lawn Mower - Disconnecting shut off brake permanently

Page 1 of 2
I have a push mower with a Briggs engine. It's about 4 years old. On the handle there is a lever that must be held down all the time to keep it running. I find that thing annoying to say the least. Everytime I had to move a garden hose or anything else on the lawn the mower would shut off. I finally wired that lever to the handle so the mower keeps running. That has worked for several years. Now the cable broke, going to that annoying brake/shutoff device, and since that operates a brake to lock the engine, I cant pull the string to start the engine.
I want this thing gone. I'm not going to spend money for a new cable, when that thing serves no purpose other than to annoy me. How can I completely disable or remove that thing? I jammed a bolt in it, and the mower started, but the bolt fell out in less than a minute.
Anyone know an easy way to disable it, or some way to permanently keep that thing pulled open, so the brake is not locking the engine?
Yea, I know it's a safety feature, but I dont need a speech about fiing it. I've safely used mowers without that annoyance for many years. The only thing I'll not have is the shut off device. Which is as simple as shorting out the spark plug with a shovel, or just quickly running the mower into real tall grass to kill the engine. (which is what I've been doing since I wired that lever to the handle). Just more useless crap to break and irritate the user. I'm surprised they dont include a *required* safety belt on these push mowers too.
On Jun 29, 11:02pm, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

I discovered jsut how useless it is. I stepped backwards one step too far and tripped on a patio edging . Fell backwards still hanging on to the mower. I was on the ground before I thought to let go.
Fact: When falling in such a situation the last thing one will do is let go of what you are holding on to. It happens too fast to take rational action.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:
<snip>
It is simpy a 'brake shoe' that rubs against and stops the flywheel. If you take the starter cover off it will more than obvious how to remove it. <it simply lifts off in most cases>
If you don't have an on/off switch (if the mower only stops by releasing the safety handle) you can get a flip lever that bolts next to the spark plug and grounds the engine dead when flipped. The rubber boot on the plug will need to be removed to use this.

You can make a shorting switch out of an old tin can, a tinnersnips, and a small drill. Cut the can into a piece of metal 1,inch wide by about 5-6 inches long. Drill a hole in one end to put a cylinder head bolt thru. Remove one of the cylinder head bolts, put the bolt thru the metal piece, and replace the bolt. Bend the metal piece so you can short out the spark plug with your foot, and go cut your lawn.

Very true... but if one is too lazy, they can always spend about three bucks for one.
http://www.mister-solutions.co.uk/product/cut-off-kill-switch-fits-suffolk-qualcast-punch-lawnmower-61120-p

Shipping from the UK to the USA might be more than the cost of theshorting bar.

It certainly would. It was the first link to pop up in my search and was a good indication of what the OP was looking for tho, so up it went. :)
The mowers I have worked on, when you lift the handle a little, it shorts the coil to ground, and the motor slows on its own. The e-brake should only be used for e's.
But, seeing as the cable is snapped, that tidbit of wisdom isn't of much use.
I'll think on it a bit, and do better.
On 06/29/2012 11:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

On my Tecumseh motor, the deadman has two effects; it opens up a clutch brake that surrounds the flywheel (a mechanical stop), and it opens up a switch that shorts out the ignition system.
It was the first thing I modified, before I ever ran the mower. Maybe if I had a sloped yard I would have let it be, but it is nice when to be able to leave the mower running when I go to the porch for a drink of wawa.
Jon

Just curious...
Why do you like to leave the mower running when you stop to get a drink?
My mower takes about half a slow pull to restart once warm. Not really worth even the small amount of work it would take to defeat the kill mechanism.
Besides, I'd rather it be quiet when I take a break for water, but that's just me.
On 06/30/2012 07:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How long does it take you to drink water? I keep the bottle in the shade by the front door, and with the mower on the side of the house it takes maybe 30 seconds, at the very most, to walk over, drink, and walk back.
But that's just me.
Besides, I have to short out the plug to turn it off, so it's just easier to keep it going.
Jon
Jon, how did you modify the brake and kill system on yours? My Tecumseh is the same way.

Did you just call me a tool?!
Gordon Shumway posted for all of us...

Be proud of your tool. Are you a tool for the good orrrr the dark side? Everyone here is tool; either for enlightenment or a nut twister.
--
Tekkie

On Sun, 15 May 2016 12:34:10 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The same way as what? In what way? When you google people going to learn to quote what you're replying to or to write a decent post?
On 6/29/2012 11:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

FIX the cable. Call me paranoid about little annoyances. All it takes is for you to be out of town when your neighbor borrows the mower. If anybody ever gets hurt for any reason whatsoever, guess who goes to the front of the litigation queue. You don't have to be guilty to be bankrupt.
Disabling safety features gives liability lawyers orgasms.

That wont happen. I dont lend out tools to ANYONE. I learned that lesson the hard way more than once......
On 6/30/2012 3:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Boy, have I heard that before... ac·ci·dent/ˈaksidənt/ Noun:
An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
You probably don't need insurance either. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

As absurd as it sounds, you may be liable to the THIEF who STEALS your mower!
On 7/1/2012 11:40 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Am I liable if they steal my chainsaw? Those things are really dangerous in untrained hands.
How about if I remove my wife's sissified anti-kickback chain and put one on it that has some real teeth?