Lawn Mower

My 5-6 year old lawn mower with Briggs & Stratton 4.5 HP engine is acting up. Worked fine until yesterday when I refilled it with gas and now it starts but engine stops in 2-3 seconds. Checked/cleaned the plug and checked oil. Could it be that gas line is clogged and engine is not getting continuous supply of gas? Any thoughts? thanks.
Harry
harry manka wrote:

It would appear you had bad gas or you stired something up from the tank or the gas can.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Some guesses, and that's all they are --
1. Starts with a prime (assuming it has a primer bulb) but then dies because the main jet is plugged.
2. If it has a choke, the choke is not releasing -- engine floods and dies. In this case you should see heavy smoke as it quits.
3. The gas line from tank to carburetor is plugged -- in line with your analysis. Same thing -- could be trash in the bottom of the gas tank.

When was the last time you cleaned the air filter? That and the other two posts are all I can think of.
Colbyt

I will check the air filter. But what do you mean "bad gas"? Do you mean some dirt got into it?

"bad gas" usually means water or containments that does not allow it combust normally. Water is the most common problem.
Colbyt
May be that there is water in the tank (perhaps from dew condensation).
harry manka wrote:

On 27 Sep 2004 09:02:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (harry manka) wrote:

Take out the gas tank, empty it out and blow out the lines. Hemostats are helpful with this procedure. Fill with fresh premium gas.
(harry manka) wrote:

I simply removed the air filter and put it back and the mower works like a charm! I can't explain it but I am happy as long as it works. thanks for all the suggestions.
Harry