Lawn moss and limestone/gypsum application

I have a fair amount of moss growing where I'd rather have grass! I live in NY. I have a lot of trees and I guess this is the major contributing factor in why I have moss instead of grass.
I went to my local garden center and they said I should apply pelletized lime to the moss area (pelletized because it would work better/faster/more efficiently that granular). I applied this several months ago but the moss is still there. So I either need to re-apply at a much higher dose or there's something else going on.
Probably the best thing for me to do is have my soil tested for PH and then apply based on that PH number. In lieu of doing that then is my only recourse to keep applying limestone until I see results?
Thanks! Walter
Forget about the lawn , Grass wont thrive in shade thats why you have moss. No weeds right, or not many. You can get a lawn to grow but in shade it will be dead in a year or 2. First growth grass will live but look thin. Then die. Grass is a sun plant even the shade variaties. Look into shade plants like Hostas , Ferns, Huchera and Shade ground cover. I finaly gave up on an area and put in 65 Hostas and mulched the area. Even Scotts Shade grass seed doesnt mean Real Shade, Dont fight what you have plant what likes your area.
Or then again Maple trees and some others will choke out Anything. Get a pro out.
m Ransley wrote:

Mark is right. Hostas are a great, non-invasive shade plant. Some ferns like to spread and overtake other plants.
"Shady" grass varieties require a minimum daily amount of sun - two hours? Look at the area and see if it can be improved to support grass by - taking out trees, thinning and "lifting" tree foliage, etc. Changing soil composition can be a major, expensive proposition and can harm the trees. You may want to consider just using the mosses and incorporate them into a rock garden or stone-paved path type of landscape.
On 28 Jun 2004 08:22:29 -0700, w snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Walter Cohen) wrote:

there's moss in areas where there's a lack of sun. Scotts has a moss control granules that works pretty well, but the moss will be back unless the environment it thrives in changes. I found it at Lowe's if you have one in your area. Shellback
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*