Lawn furniture strapping to replace a sling

I have a couple old Samsonite Body Glove chaise lounge chairs (#5410) which originally came with full slide-on slings. Replacement slings are hard to come by and expensive. So I wondered whether I could remove the old slings and install straps instead.
But I would rather not have to drill all the holes in the steel tubing frame that would be needed for conventional strap attachment using rivets. Instead, I would like to bring the straps all the way around until the ends overlap somewhere in the back, and then attach the two ends together in some way that wouldn't come loose. I assume if this is possible, it would be best to pre-fabricate these strapping loops, and then "persuade" them onto the frame one at a time. I figure if they are tight enough, they wouldn't slide out of place after that.
Has anyone seen that done, or know of an attachment method that would work?

Sounds like an exercise in frustration. If it was a good idea, I think web chair manufacturers would be doing it already, instead of using clips or screws.
Hi, JoeSpareBedroom:
Did you come up with a solution? I have the same lounge chairs, and I did b uy new slings—well worth the money, in my opinion. The frames are wearing out, though, with rust along the bottom rails, and one chair got blown int o the lake during a bad storm this past weekend, and the top piece and the sling washed away.
I realize that you posted this back in 2008, but that may pose an opportuni ty for me. If refitting the chairs with straps has turned into one of those jobs you meant to get around to but never did, would you consider selling the frames? Samsonite stopped making them in 2000, and I have yet to find u sed ones anywhere online.
Best regards, P@MELA