Lawn furniture clear coat problem

Hello All,
Last summer purchased outdoor table from Home Depot. I sprayed it with a clear coat hoping it would extend the painted finish. The clear coat has milky splotchy patches. I suspect the surface was not total clean. What is the best way to fix this?
Strip the spray painted clear coat?. Sand down to the painted surface and just re-spray with paint?
Input would be appreciated.

Did the white occur just after spraying, if so it was maybe damp or to cold for that product or . Did it take time then probably it wasnt made for water sitting on it. Was spray a marine rated and has UV protection. You should have talked to a pro at a real paint store then. Most cheap clear coats dont handle sun well. If you didnt sand the paint and clean well the new product may not have bonded well, even so it may fail since its likely a cheap clearcoat.Im not sure but mabe id repaint and not with a spray can of paint unless, maybe, it was Rustoleum brand. The reason the spray versions are often weaker from Epa regulations for sprays to be less toxic. Go to a real paint store, one that sells Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams with the old spray and do what they say. Pro stores are best for all advise and products.

Other possibilities are rain damage and chemical interaction between what you sprayed and the factory finish of the table. Whether metal or wood there were probably coats of at least three different materials (primer, colour coat, and clear finish.) You added a fourth and ordinary rain makes a fifth material. In summer sunshine there may be all sorts of chemical interactions not foreseen at the factory.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

The clear coat was probably not UV rated. Now you know what not to do.
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 06:15:10 -0700 (PDT), Brent Bolin

What is a "clear coat?" You get milky patches when water seeps under the finish. Try rubbing the milky areas with mayonaise and a rag.

What is the table top made of???

Believe it is aluminum. It's one of the tables that Home Depot sells that has the 12x12 ceramic tiles in it. It lasted all summer. The blemishes didn't show up till the very end of the summer. The clear coat that I sprayed on was rated for out door use. Not sure about the UV rating, but would suspect it had it. I think I used Rustoleum brand, but not absolutely sure. It wasn't the cheap stuff.

I don't know, but it must be something good, if you're going to put Mayo on it!