Lawn/flower watering question

I have an automatic sprinkler system. I use Miracle Grow sprayer once in a while to fertilize.
Has anyone hooked up one of these fertilizer mixers inline with their sprinklers?
I think it would do fine for the flowers, giving them a weak flow of fertilizer, and feeding them more steadily than my once in a while when I remember it and get around to it.
For the grass, could I use Miracle Grow, or would I have to use regular lawn fertilizer granules?
I am repairing the sprinklers at my house, so, this qualifies as home repair, right?
Steve
My guess is that it would be illegal, since the fertilizer could flow back into the municipal water system and contaminate it.
Perce
On 07/21/05 12:49 pm SteveB tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Not if you install an anti-back flow valve.

Which might be required anyway (the backflow valve that is) depending upon the municipality.....
Check here for the pieces http://www.dripworksusa.com / You will need a vacuum breaker/antisiphon device. Any garden center will sell Miracle Grow type fertilizer for the lawn. it will have a higher nitrogen level. My impression is that Miracle Gro fertilizer for flowers is more akin to starter fertilizer for Lawns. The nitrogen boosts foliage which you don't want if your growing flowers. You can use Miracle gro for flowers on the lawn but with the lower nitrogen number it won't be as green.

SteveB wrote:

The answer to that question at my home would be to sell the sprinkler system to prevent increased lawn growth and thereby reducing time wasted mowing said grass. It's been three weeks since I took the mower out and if the grass will stay beige until October, I will be a happy man. Some of my neighbors insist on watering their lawns to produce grass to keep my compost supplied, so I can't complain. They mow and I enjoy a beer and a book.
Bob

Last year, the water department paid us $2000 to remove 2000 square feet of grass and replace it with desert landscaping. We did so, and now have a small area of yard. We also have a lot of ornamental flowers.
I was just looking for the fastest easiest way to keep care of this.
Steve
SteveB wrote: ....

For the trees/shrubs, if at all feasible to get a supply to it there I'd try to simply bury/hide soaker hoses in amongst them that I could simply turn on and leave for X hours--whatever X turns out to be in your area. We bury them in rows in the garden plot at about 4-6" and plant on both sides. About once a week they run for most of a day, at which time it's equivalent of a good soaking rain...I'm gradually adding them to the flower beds my wife wants to keep.

Where's this? California?

Las Vegas

How does it look? I've seen some pics from southern California, where people have done some really cool stuff with native plants.