Lawn concerns

Top 1/4 to 1/2 of my grass in many areas is brown with the bottom half or so green. Growing well. Any suggestions?
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Sharpen mower.

2 week old, right out of the box Craftsman. Also, the same problem in a section that my neighbor mows with another mower. Does that still sound likely or should I consider something else before I go yell at Sears about the blade?

You could just check the blade.
I was wondering. Have you had a lot of rain? We had 47 consecutive days of rain. I was listening to the radio and it said to expect brown spots on your yard from the fungus.
In article

aren't ragged. Short of cutting off a finger, what is a good way to check the blade under these circumstances.

That was one of my concerns. We had a wet week or so, but nothing really for the last couple of weeks or so. I water the lawn, but start it around 4 am so not much time to just sit there and get fungus going. Also, it is fairly well distributed including the areas that are always watered well after sun up. Thanks for the advice.
Kurt Ullman wrote: I water the lawn, but start

how often do u water?

Sporadically depending on the weather. Generally no more than twice a week. About 45 minutes or so at each station.

I can tell by looking at my grass if the blade needs sharpening. If you are not comfortable using a torque wrench and are afraid of working on your mower take it to a professional to get the blade sharpened. Refer to the owner's manual.
If you have a lot of shade, or your yard doesn't drain well, it could be fungus. Look on the internet for way to determine how much to water. There are several methods. I always like to water as little as possible to keep water bills down too.
As I was typing it started raining again. Fungus can be treated with corn meal and I'm considering using it on my lawn. I live in central TX and we're getting record braking rain fall due to the jet stream staying too far north.
Be careful
Jim
In article

It is just as bad on the front yard and the side yard which is full sun as it is in the back yard with some shade and along the tree line which is full shade, not really getting hardly any sun between April and October (g). If there wasn't this consistentcy, I might be able to figure out what is going on.
Thanks again.

Try taking a picture of your lawn. Close-up and over-all. Then post them somewhere on the internet. Post a link to alt.home.lawn.garden with your description. I was hoping it was something simple like over watering but it doesn't sound like that too me.
Good Luck
In article

Think I'll just call my lawn service on Monday. That is what they get big bucks for and it is becoming obvious that it going to be outside my comfort zones (g). Thanks for the assist anwyay

I'm my own lawn service.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out :-)
Jim
Kurt Ullman wrote:

A lot depends on where you are. In the deep South you have totally different kinds of grass and problems than I do in the Midwest. For example my local area has had something of a drought. Areas close by have had ample rain. You may or may not have watered.
In any case a very good source of information in the US is the county extension office. See your local phone book under government offices. They are free they are experts and they are not trying to sell you something.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Thanks. I'll look around. FWIW, Central Indiana

Is your mower blade sharp? If so, the grass blade should have a clean cut on top, not shredded.