Lawn care/trimming

I hate trimming. I have never had a trimmer that advanced the line right.
ANyhow. Is there something I can make or use as boarders around tree and things to keep from having to use a weed eater? Maybe make a concrete form with a lip?
ANy advice?
Danny wrote:

I just installed four boxes of "Bedrocks" to separate a pachysandra bed from the lawn. I do not yet know whether it will work.
Item: 201946 @ $29.99 "10 foot bedrock lawn border"
purchased from ImprovementsCatalog.com
I do not yet know how successful it will be.
I have over 70 trees and a few gardens I quit trimming years ago , I use roundup where I would normaly trim and when everything goes brown I take out my Propane torch- Cane and burn everything black . Maybe twice a year. I protect plants with a bucket, or a towel or a 4x4 piece of paneling with a handle cut in. Saves time & money and looks alot better. Now I need grass that doesnt grow but stays green. And i have a great Sthil trimmer rusting away.
JohnB wrote:

I like pachysandra and have several beds of it around our home, but in my lengthly experience, "there ain't no jail built which can hold it."
The plant's runners have an amazing ability to find their way around, below, and through the narrowist of crevices until they can find a spot where they can break free up into the sunlight and sprout.
But it's real hardy here in Red Sox country, and once a bed fills in, there isn't much in the way of weeds which can compete with it.
Good luck,
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Danny wrote:

I just use a little grass-weed killer and some mulch.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
One of our neighbors has all their trees surrounded by about a foot of Monkey Grass. All they do is mow along them, clipping a little of the monkey grass too, and they are done. I like the look, wife doesn't. Mybe if I assign her the trimming chores they will look a little better to her. Texas Parts Guy
Danny wrote:

Then you would have to trim around the concrete form so why not just spray RoundUp around the base of the tree. We spray around all of our trees, buildings, sidewalks, etc. and thus do not do any trimming.
Don

This is exactly what I do.... use RoundUp
had a trimmer that advanced the line right.(clip) ANy advice? ^^^^^^^^^^^ Those trimmer heads that advance the line by bumping the ground have never worked well for me either. When the string breaks off short, you have to take the whole thing apart to rethread it, which is a big time consuming pain. So, I solved the problem by buying an aftermarket trimmer head which does not use an internal spool. When the string gets short or breaks off, just insert new lengths from a spool you have lying nearby. Also, this type of cutter head will accept very heavy line, which works better, does not wear as fast or break as easily.
I think that is why the professionals seem to prefer this type.
I buried Cobra brand edging where I used to have to trim. It is pretty heavy duty and since it is at ground level I can just run the mower over it. You may have a problem with any trees that have shallow roots, as you have to dig down about six inches to install the edging.
Danny wrote:

there.