Lawn care goes hi-tech

Page 5 of 6

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Right. But a government official committing a crime is not the same thing as that same individual refusing to do his mandated duty. Usually there is no penalty attached to the latter.
For example, suppose a county clerk refuses to issue a marriage license to a legally-qualified couple. The couple can get a judge to order the clerk to issue the license but cannot file criminal charges against that same public official.
That's not the case with the new Arizona law.

This kind of thing also gives the state one more excuse to stop people to check them for other violations that the state can make money on by issuing fines. Just like the other day when I was pulled over for not using my turn signal. The cop even told me he was just trying to make it look like he is keeping busy so he just took my driver's license back to his car for about 5 minutes and let me go on my way with just a verbal warning. I'm sure he stopped me hoping to find something else I could be charged for.
David
hibb wrote:

I've noticed over the years that a number of wanted criminals were captured after being stopped for refusing to dim their headlights. I do believe that those of a criminal bent generally have a screw you attitude when it comes to simple things like being considerate of others. I wonder how many are caught because they light up in a no smoking area?
TDD
hibb wrote:

Even in upright jurisdictions, a patrol officer is expected to make "x" "citizen contacts" per shift (citation, warning ticket, DL check, etc.). If the norm is, say, ten and an officer is hovering around the five mark, his sergeant knows the officer is goofing off.
It's not so much a quota as a method of measuring proper activity.
For about two centuries, the folks in US havn't spoken English. If you want a demo, go visit England, see if you can communicate with the people there. You'll find that the language is noticably different.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That's a matter of opinion. If you're British we're illiterate; yet we still managed to beat them at just about everything else.
Might be just me. But, I figure the English people speak English.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Being simple minded, you would.
Nothing wrong with simple minded. Beats being a highfalutin elected rep. Them folks think they are "our nation's leaders" now.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yeah...someone has to clean the urinals.

Ask an Austrian what language he speaks.
Doug Miller wrote:

And just like there are multiple dialects of English, there are multiple dialects of German. The various German-speaking countries can converse in High German, but a tape recording in a diner in one area may be totally unintelligible to people sitting in a diner in another area. British English used to be the standard taught world-wide, but now that the American media steam-roller has been in place so many years, American slang can be heard world-wide. But a tape made in a Maine diner would still likely draw puzzled looks down south or out west, much less in the UK or down in Oz.
--
aem sends...

The same thing with Spanish. I use to have a cd of the band "Los Lobos". At the time we were host family for a couple of minor league baseball players from Venezuela. Some of the Los Lobos songs lyrics were in Spanish so I played one of those songs for one of the Venezuelan kids and asked him what the song was about. He said "I don't know. I don't speak that language."
David

Spanish is the official language, but Italian and Portuguese are very common, as are a few indigenous languages.
On 04/23/10 07:44 pm, JimT wrote:

Cricket? Universal health care?
Perce

heh..."almost" FWIW: I understand their UHC system is pretty much bankrupting the country. I'm not sure that qualifies as a success yet.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The guys that did the teardown on my roof spoke either spanish of russian. (some of each)
On 4/23/2010 11:07 AM, JimT wrote:

English speaking Foreman. I agree with that. Speak english or go home.
--
Steve Barker

Yeah, living here in Central TX you learn that pretty quickly. <g>
I got Wilson Roofing (Austin). They did excellent work and they have the reputation of being one of the best. There were a bunch of guys up there. But there was a articulate and educated person there at all times. Started at about 7am and ended about 7pm. Pro all the way. Cost a little more but worth it. I highly recommend them.

Well, that's not impossible here in the Great White North (Michigan). The last roofing crew I had in were the usual bunch of scrawny hillbillies. They did a great job.
The concrete crew were scrawny, hung-over hillbillies, and they did a terrible job.
The Nu-Wool insulation guys--I can't remember them very well because I couldn't observe them very well. I think they were hillbillies of various magnitudes.
Let's see: the guys who did the crawlspace lining were Hispanic (or Latino or whatever the term du jour is), as were the two who planted the corkscrew willow tree. The tree looks like it's dying, but that's probably the fault of the clay soil.
Why all the hillbillies in Michigan? They or their fathers came up for those good factory jobs that aren't there anymore. Cindy Hamilton