Lawn care goes hi-tech

You mean there are provisions to force the enforcer to enforce the law?! What an interesting and forceful use of the force of law against law enforcement.................... My head hurts.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

heh..."almost" FWIW: I understand their UHC system is pretty much bankrupting the country. I'm not sure that qualifies as a success yet.

Reply to
JimT

I don't. The more important signs are stop, yield and stop lights. Those are the same. It's always dangerous if you don't know where you're going.

Reply to
JimT

And just like there are multiple dialects of English, there are multiple dialects of German. The various German-speaking countries can converse in High German, but a tape recording in a diner in one area may be totally unintelligible to people sitting in a diner in another area. British English used to be the standard taught world-wide, but now that the American media steam-roller has been in place so many years, American slang can be heard world-wide. But a tape made in a Maine diner would still likely draw puzzled looks down south or out west, much less in the UK or down in Oz.

Reply to
aemeijers

"Doug Miller" wrote

I've driven in other countries where I did not speak the language. Managed well enough that I got back home. We get truck drivers on occasion that don't speak English. We also get English speaking truck drivers that cannot read.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nothing wrong with simple minded. Beats being a highfalutin elected rep. Them folks think they are "our nation's leaders" now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah...someone has to clean the urinals.

Reply to
JimT

No Left Turn Lane Ends 500 Feet Do Not Enter Wrong Way Right Lane Must Turn Right School Zone Speed Limit 25mph etc.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Same here. When I was planning a trip to Canada some years ago, a friend who knew that I don't speak French warned me to familiarize myself with the bilingual road signs in Ontario, because I wouldn't see anything but French in Quebec. He was right. I have no idea how to pronounce any of it, but at least I learned to read the French for things like no left turn, this exit, next exit, no parking, do not enter, and so on.

It's always mystified me why -- and how -- someone who can't read manages to get a driver's license.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not a lot. In Texas, inmates grow virtually all their own food (except the obvious: pepper, coffee, etc.). We've got prison cattle ranches, pig farms, egg factories, and corn fields. Inmates grow cotton, gin it, and make their own clothes. Most prisons are built with convict (non-union) labor.

As for cost, consider your typical Heroin addict.

Your average addict will shoot one "paper" of Heroin per day at a street cost of about $100. Assuming most don't have that much spare cash, that means the addict has to rob, or more often, steal something for which he can get a hundred bucks. In reality, he has to steal about four times what he expects to get (hey, the fence has to make a living). That's $400 per day taken out of the economy. Every day. Or, about $150,000 per year per addict.

In a modest sized city, it's not unreasonable to assume there are 5,000 addicts wandering the streets. If they each act like the one I just described, that's $730 million of wealth destroyed each year just due to Heroin. Then there's Marijuana, crack-Cocaine, and more.

We can keep a goblin locked up for a paltry $35,000 per year. That's a saving of over $100,000 per year for each squint behind bars. The more we incarcerate, the more we save.

Then there are the residual savings. Here in Texas, prisoners make (and repair) "stuff" which is sold at cost to other agencies of government. Texas Correctional Industries manufacture things that range from mops to furniture, trash cans to saddles, truck beds to toilets. The savings to county and city governments is not trivial. For a catalog of available products, see here:

That's how much it "costs." Bottom line: Again, the more people we lock up, the more we save.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes. There are things called "sanctuary cities" where, by edict, the city refuses to enforce applicable laws. San Francisco got hit last year by a court order demanding it turn over to ICE juveniles found to be felony violators. Prior to that, these gang members, et al, were told to go forth and sin no more.

Reply to
HeyBub

I know a fellow who drove into Mexico and upon seeing a sign that had "ALTO" on it, he stopped and started singing. Signs can confuse some people.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Doesn't Texas Prison Industries sell to institutions in other states?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Is that what a Writ of Mandamus is used for?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Doug Miller" wrote

Try giving them directions more complex than turn right at the light. There seems to be an influx of Russian speaking drivers in the past couple of years. Most at least try to speak English. The Frenchies from Quebec though, are often arrogant and will not try. Of course, that goes for many Americans travelling to other countries too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're out of touch with reality:

JimT

Yeah...that's a real toughy

I think I've heard enough from you:

Good Day

Reply to
JimT

This sends me to a %age change in expenditures which pretty much has nothing to do with discussions about whether or not it is cheaper when all of the costs/benefits to society are added up. Especially since this doesn't control for the two big variables:inflation and increases in population (assuming that some %age of the population tends toward the criminal the more people you have the more criminals you will have and the more expenses you will have).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

For some reason, that statement made me think of that Prison Warden in the movie "Shawshank Redemption". I wonder how many prison wardens in Texas are making a few extra bucks off the free labor of their prisoners.

Reply to
hibb

Around here a number of years ago, an elderly driver got confused at an interstate "clover leaf" intersection and somehow wound up going the wrong way on the interstate and hit another car head on causing several deaths. I was working the counter at the local gas and booze , er, I mean convenience store, at the time and an elderly person heard us talking about that accident. He piped up and said that those clover leaf intersections can be pretty confusing. I remember telling that person that if a driver can't figure out a simple cloverleaf intersection they should not be driving.

David

Reply to
hibb