Lawn care goes hi-tech

Page 1 of 6  

Called a business that had an insert in our local paper to get a quote for getting our lawn rolled. Gave them all the usual information, plus e-mail address, then asked when somebody was likely to come and check the place out. Reply: "We don't need to send somebody there: we get all the information we need from satellite imagery."
Perce
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I was impressed when one of the roofing companies I contacted did the estimate from satellite imagery. The computer spits out the estimate. I didn't hire them and I'm glad I didn't. They did one of my neighbor's and the crew consisted of Mexican Nationals. Nothing against Mexicans but I want one or two English speaking guys on the crew.
Point is: It's the final job that matters. :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Oh boy, here we go...
re: "Nothing against Mexicans but I want one or two English speaking guys on the crew."
What if they all spoke Dutch? or German? or the Queen's English?
re: "Point is: It's the final job that matters."
Apparently not. What seems to matter, at least to you, is what language they speak.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<snip>

My wife speaks some German and she's Hispanic.

So communication isn't important to you? If I had a translator it wouldn't matter.
FWIW: That particular company didn't have a real good rep locally. They were based out of another city too. That was the reason I didn't pick them. I try to ask anyone that does work on my house to have at least one English speaking person. I don't think that is unreasonable or racist. It can easily be a Mexican that speaks English. I grew-up, and spent most of my adult life, in Southern NM. I don't carry any hard core resentment of Mexicans. I'm just being practical. If that bothers you I don't know what to say.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What "bothers" me is how you said it. Granted, you can't really tell "tone" in a NG post, so I'll just tell you how I read it...
When you say that you didn't use them because the crew was all "Mexican Nationals" and you want "one or two English speaking guys on the crew" you make it sound like those two things are mutually exclusive.
When I was in the service in Germany, we had many German Nationals that worked side by side with us on base. They *all* spoke English. In fact, they were "ahead" of us in that regard, because very few of us spoke German.
Did you verify that none of the crew that worked on your neighbor's house spoke English? If you didn't, then it appears, at least to me, that you didn't hire them because of their nationality - or at a minimum, you didn't hire them for a reason that might not have been justified.
re: "That particular company didn't have a real good rep locally. "
Now that is a very valid reason. However, the wording in your earlier post certainly didn't indicate that reputation had anything to do with your decision, especially when you strung together these three sentences in one paragraph:
"I didn't hire them and I'm glad I didn't. They did one of my neighbor's and the crew consisted of Mexican Nationals. Nothing against Mexicans but I want one or two English speaking guys on the crew."
Again, it just *sounds* like you feel that if they are Mexican Nationals they must not speak English, which some might consider to be somewhat of a prejudential generalization.
Like I said, that's how it came across to me, so that's why I responded as I did.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<snip>
I snipped because OE does quotes badly at times.
IMHO: You're missing the point and you're predisposed beliefs are clouding your reasoning.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

IMHO I believe I directly addressed your point and merely explained how the wording in your post came across to me.
"predisposed beliefs"?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

IMHO I believe I directly addressed your point and merely explained how the wording in your post came across to me.
"predisposed beliefs"?
=== You assumed I'm a rabid racist because I said "Mexican National". WTF?
I'm just going to fall back on: "I don't know what to tell you." <g>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

re: "You assumed I'm a rabid racist because I said "Mexican National".
Wow! If that doesn't prove my point that you can't read tone in a NG post, I don't know what does.
WTF? I agree.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

re: "You assumed I'm a rabid racist because I said "Mexican National".
Wow! If that doesn't prove my point that you can't read tone in a NG post, I don't know what does.
WTF? I agree.
== Okay...Let's say I understand what you said but since I removed all doubt with my second post; what's the point? Does it make you feel self-righteous? To me that's worse than racism.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you stop harassing me. If you do I'll just assume you're on your high-horse. It's your choice. Good Day!
Jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JimT wrote:

TV commercial for gubernatorial candidate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ohsvJHkbY&feature=player_embedded
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

heh....My answer would have to be no. Little doubt to the constituents he's appealing to.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

I think I mentioned this in another group. Here in Alabamastan, many of our politicians barely speak English, it's Hillbonics or Ebonics and some of them are almost impossible to understand especially since most of what they're saying are lies anyway. *snicker*
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

I'll bet there will be a lot more unlicensed - and therefore uninsured - drivers in Alabama if this guy wins.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's a good point.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JimT wrote:

Only temporarily. Most will get scooped up straightaway and sent to the Greybar Hotel.
After Katrina, crime shot up in Houston until the Houston Police made it clear that one just can't be moseyin' thru the 'hood with a malt and a toke.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah...lockem' up. How much does that cost again?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JimT wrote:

Not a lot. In Texas, inmates grow virtually all their own food (except the obvious: pepper, coffee, etc.). We've got prison cattle ranches, pig farms, egg factories, and corn fields. Inmates grow cotton, gin it, and make their own clothes. Most prisons are built with convict (non-union) labor.
As for cost, consider your typical Heroin addict.
Your average addict will shoot one "paper" of Heroin per day at a street cost of about $100. Assuming most don't have that much spare cash, that means the addict has to rob, or more often, steal something for which he can get a hundred bucks. In reality, he has to steal about four times what he expects to get (hey, the fence has to make a living). That's $400 per day taken out of the economy. Every day. Or, about $150,000 per year per addict.
In a modest sized city, it's not unreasonable to assume there are 5,000 addicts wandering the streets. If they each act like the one I just described, that's $730 million of wealth destroyed each year just due to Heroin. Then there's Marijuana, crack-Cocaine, and more.
We can keep a goblin locked up for a paltry $35,000 per year. That's a saving of over $100,000 per year for each squint behind bars. The more we incarcerate, the more we save.
Then there are the residual savings. Here in Texas, prisoners make (and repair) "stuff" which is sold at cost to other agencies of government. Texas Correctional Industries manufacture things that range from mops to furniture, trash cans to saddles, truck beds to toilets. The savings to county and city governments is not trivial. For a catalog of available products, see here:
http://www.tci.tdcj.state.tx.us /
That's how much it "costs." Bottom line: Again, the more people we lock up, the more we save.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

Doesn't Texas Prison Industries sell to institutions in other states?
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You're out of touch with reality:
http://tinyurl.com/243lcsq
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.