Lawn Boy Mower Ground Out Problem

I have a 1991 Lawnboy M21EMRD self-porpelled walk-behind lawn mower. I bought it new and like it a lot (2 cycle and dependable).

I have a problem where when I release the brake bale, the engine keeps running and is not shorted out. I've taken mower apart and found that the flywheel brake arm has a small metal tab that touches another arm flywheel brake arm to ground out the engine.

I've tried every adjustment in the Lawnboy service manual to get the arm and grounding point to touch when I release the bale, but with no luck. What I now plan to do is buy a replacement part. In the mean time, I need to run the mower to cut the spring grass.

What I was thinking of doing is to solder a small piece of thin metal to the worn thin gound out tab to build it out so it touched the arm. There's little pressure on the tab and I beleive solder will do the job.

My question is, is there a better way of connecting the two thin piece of metal?

Thanks,

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

I shut mine off by full choke, its easier, dont use much gasolene incase it doesnt work for you

Reply to
ransley

Is there enough room to drill a hole in the tab and use a very small nut and bolt?

Or can you find a ground and rig your own temporary "shut-off"? I forget what kind of machine it was, but I remember having some device where I manually pushed a metal strip against the motor housing until the engine quit. Maybe it was that old homemade motorbike that I use to ride.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The ground thing I think was on the plug of old B&S motors, my old lawnboy has a fuel shutoff that will also stop it in a few

Reply to
ransley

We had the same problem where i work at at lawn and landscape company. I just installed the old self grounding toggle switch like the older ones had. Mount it on the metal down by the cable bracket and hook the wire to it. Done.

S. Barker

I did this last fall, but the mower now has a mind of its own and it take a lot onger to choke out.

Reply to
Manjo

I'm oprer ing a repalcement part, but in the meantime, I'm trying to put together a grounding toggle switch. I made a jumper off the male spade to a toggle and from there to ground. I'll post how it works out.

My thanks to everyone for all the good ideas and suggestions.

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

I got the cut-off switch installed and it seems to work OK. It ain't pretty, but it does the job. There are two male spade connectors on the brake switch. They are both metal contacts one of which makes a contact when the brake bail is pulled in so you can start the mower. The other connector is the ground out. I made a jumper off the male spade connector to the original female connector with a pigtail to the toggle switch. The wire form the toggle switch is connected to a grounded engine bolt. I can now kill the engine simply by pushing the toggle to one side. To start the mower, I have to make sure the switch is set to the other side.

I have a pair of wires running up to and near the bail. As I said earlier, it's not pretty, but it will only be needed until I get the correct replacement part I=92ve ordered. THanks to the folks that suggested adding the temporary switch.

Manjo 1991 Lawnboy mower

Reply to
Manjo