Lawn-Boy Compression

Have a Lawn-Boy M-Series lawn mower.
Can't get it to turn over.
Recently, I replaced the ignition coil because the plug wire had gone bad. You would think that the replaced ignition coil would have something to do with the thing not starting, but I get a spark. And the lawn mower had been going downhill for quite a few months before the wire went so maybe we have two problems here.
I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with the compression. In some of the manuals I've read, it says that you can test compression by pulling the cord while covering the spark plug hole with your thumb. Your thumb should blow off. Mine does not. Also, the flywheel doesn't rebound when I turn it counterclockwise, which was another test I've read about. However, in yet a different manual I read that if the pull is uneven you have good compression. By that standard, I have good compression.
Sometimes when I pull the cord the lawnmower back fires. Is that indicative of anything?
You messed up the timing. Same as last time you asked.
[...]
Sorry for the multiple posts.
My original posting and the subsequent thread wasn't coming up on my machine so I thought that it hadn't took.
: Sorry for the multiple posts. : : My original posting and the subsequent thread wasn't coming up on my : machine so I thought that it hadn't took. : In that case, you might want to look back through some of the old posts; there were a couple of usable responses there.
Pop