Laundry tip

LOL! Thanks that made my day!

Reply to
RobertMacy

te:

Roger that! It had to come.

All sorts of idiot warnings required by lawyers. (Grumble: Trend is part of nobody taking responsibility for their own actions???)

Annual gas heater inspection: Gas co. man said that they're told to keep t emp. "medium" so people won't burn themselves. But also said (your opinion ??) it's more efficient at higher temp. I had him set it higher.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Ask yourself, who fosters this shit?

Hint: who's in charge?

Reply to
Frank

but, but.......it's for the chillren!!

Reply to
ChairMan

Formerly, the US citizens. We had representative government. Now, we have Our Nation's Leaders.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In that case it would be cheaper (cost of hot water wise) to just get a larger heater and not heat it so hot, as a larger water heater is more effecient than a smaller water heater (due to there being less cooling surface area), and heat loss from a water heater is not a linear function as the temperature is increased.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I agree, but if it takes more hot water to make your household efficient, it might be more cost efficient to turn up the temperature than to buy a new water heater... just to argue!

Reply to
J Burns

How large would it have to be to not have to heat the water at all?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It depends on your location, as well as how far below the surface you can place the heater to take advantage of the geothermal gradient (~1F per 70 feet).

Assuming your incoming water is 55F, placing the heater one mile below the surface would keep the water at a temperature of about 130F, not accounting for losses.

You might have to run the tap for a little bit, though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

1/2" copper at 5gpm, only for 12 minutes. But I'm not even going to pretend to figure out how much it would have cooled in the trip.
Reply to
Mark Storkamp

What kind of wimpy pump are you using? I've got one of these collecting dust in the shed. 'Bout time I put it to work.

DerbyDad03

It's not the pump. I went with 5gpm since I thought I remembered that was what the government allowed in a faucet. Looking around a bit on line it seems it's actually 2.5gpm. So you'd have to run the tap for 24 minutes.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

If I'm going to bury a water heater 1 mile down into the earth and use the world's largest pump to get the water to the surface, I seriously doubt I'm going to worry about the government regs related to faucet flow rates.

I've got one of these out in the garage just waiting to be hooked up to that pump:

DerbyDad03