Laundry pods

Page 1 of 2
They are on TV for about the 20th time saying kids are eating laundry detergent pods. I still wonder why they need to make them look like candy. Are housewives that gullible? Maybe, if they want the kids not to eat them, they should look like Brussels Sprouts.

They are colorful, very easy for kids to try eating them. You'd think parents would either not buy them or secure them. At the same time, the makers know it is a problem, so fix it. I guess that would make them less visually appealing to adults too. Knowing the number of deaths, I'd stop making them to avoid future lawsuits.

I never got it in the first place. How hard is it to dump a scoop of powder in the washer? It is certainly a lot cheaper that way. You can bet there is some lawyer tax in the price of those pods.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 22:17:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

One thing I have never understood is why soaps in general are scented with the names of foods. Lemon scented dish soap, and bleach. Vanilla, strawberry, apple, coconut, scented liquid hand soaps, and even some laundry detergents.
What idiot decided to make soaps smell like food, and never thought that children would possibly eat them????
On 4/26/2016 12:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Once in a while, someone writes some common sense. And this is such a moment. Good job, sir. Thank you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:10:02 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Because people prefer soaps that smell nice and will buy them over ones that have no smell or smell like crap.

Is there evidence that children are eating these, with serious problems too? Come to think of it, how exactly does a kid eat enough of those detergent pods to harm themselves? You would think with one bite, it would taste awful and they would spit it out. Are they swallowing the pods whole?
On 04/26/2016 09:11 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

I'd rather have soap with no smell (it's supposed to be CLEAN not SMELLY), but then an individual doesn't count :-)
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 4/26/2016 3:54 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Yes, it is available from a few brands. We use All Free.
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

The decorated bovine wants one that smells like himself-ass.
--
Tekkie

I would imagine they have a lot of appeal to folks who use the public laundromat to wash their clothes, being a lot easier to tote around than a jug (or box) of detergent.
I wouldn't use them in the house though, too expensive, and like you said it isn't that difficult to measure out a portion when I do a load.
Jon
On 4/26/2016 6:15 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
<snip>

When my daughter went to college I gave her a pitcher-like container that I filled with powdered laundry detergent. Buying those hyper-expensive pods was just something I didn't want to do.
When my son went to college I did the same thing. Unfortunately, the university had replaced all the commercial washers with high-efficiency front loaders and did not allow powdered detergent. You had to use liquid or pods of HE detergent, even though you can buy HE powder. So we did get him a box of pods at Costco. Should be enough in that box for four years of college.
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 10:17:46 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's like the dishwasher detergent products. The pods/tablets are marginally more convenient than powder, but they cost substantially more, so I use powder. You have a good point, that the pods should not be colored so that they resemble candy. You probably saw the same story I did, that a kid goes to the ER every 45 mins from these things and some are very serious, with the kid needing to be put on life support, hospitalized, two have died. Beside the serious health issues, what is all that costing us? What the hell is wrong with those manufacturers? I'm not for big govt, but in this case, if they won't voluntarily fix this, I'd pass legislation forcing them to.
On 4/26/2016 10:08 AM, trader_4 wrote:

When we got a new DW just over a year ago it came with a sample of Cascade Platinum in a pod. Been using them ever since as they do a much better job than anything we've used in the past. They are colorful though, bright blue, green, red. But we have no little kids around.
Buy them at BJ's for a reasonable price. Glassware sparkles, SS post shine!
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 22:17:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Next they will put pictures of eyeballs on them, and call them Eye Pods! :)

Boxed powder is a PITA in a laundromat. (Yes, many people do use laundromats.)
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 14:43:02 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

I dont use laundromats, but I dont use powdered detergents either. When I was a kid, my mother used the powdered stuff. Back then, I think that was the only way you could buy it (as far as I know). I started using the liquid stuff in the 80's and that is all I use now. I have never heard any reasons that powdered is any better, and the liquid is easier to reseal so it dont get dumped. I actually thought that the powdered type was going extinct as far as desirability.
On 04/27/2016 10:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I changed to liquid because of the clumps that can form with powder, some clumps so big they don't dissolve.

When that was a problem, I put some powder in a bottle, using a paper funnel.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 14:43:02 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

We certainly have become a country if whiners, I used coin laundries for years and all we had was powder. What is so hard? `

Avoiding accidental spills? Maybe if you're carrying the box of detergent in your laundry basket/box/bag? I used a bottle with a lid.
BTW, I used to know someone who kept insisting (loudly) that I should have bought something sold for that purpose (carrying detergent powder). It couldn't have been any better than that old shampoo bottle.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 04/27/2016 03:43 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

When I was using laundromat all the time, I used a smaller bottle (about 1 pint) with a screw-on lid for the detergent powder. It was easier to handle than a box, and could be closed to prevent spilling.
BTW, the bottle was one I got shampoo in (washed and dried before using it for detergent).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/