laundry chute

anyone know who sells these, did a web search and can only find the chute door.

Reply to
shelly

try an HVAC company. a laundry chute is just SS ductwork (oilless) .

Reply to
AAA

Hi, I made one with concrete pouring tube. The big paper tube(pipe?) which is used for pouring concrete pillar. Works well. From upstairs to basement laundry room. My last house had one made of HVAC duct material. Tony

AAA wrote:

Reply to
Tony Hwang

There is one issue here, that the chute must be constructed of non-combustible materials to prevent fire spread between floors. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Fire will go up the laundry chute 'chimney' no matter what it is made out of. That is why you want a solid tight lid on the top, balanced or spring-mounted so it CAN'T be left open. I'd also put a smoke alarm right over the top of it. (NB- if you have kids and small pets, chute is best left nailed shut till kids are old enough to know better and/or pet can defend itself.) As to what the chute is made of- back when my father's company built lots of houses with chutes (late 50s to early 70s), the chutes were always unstained/unpainted finish grade plywood, glued'n'screwed into a solid square tube, and put in place before the house was rocked. Never had any problem with snags.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

the only problem was the smell that was absorbed into the wood. SS does not carry bacteria or odors like wood will.

Reply to
Bryant

All a laundry chute is sheet metal bend into a square shape.

Reply to
PoCambo

pre-made chutes can be found here.

Bryant