Laundery Countertop

I have a laundry room dilemma. From one corner of the room I?m coming 3 inches off the end wall. From there is a 27 inch washer, then a 27 inch dryer, finally a 36 inch sink base. The sink base is located flush to the back wall the washer dryer stand proud of the sink base by 3 inches (back wall spacing.) The washer and dryer are Kenmore/Frigidaire front load-front control models and I would like to mount them under a continuous countertop from the sink base to the wall. The contractor doing my remodel had never done this type of installation before and refused to attempt the install. I ?m left to do the work.

I am running a cleat along the back wall and along the side by the washer. The counter top needs to span the 54 inches from the cleat to the sink base. What are my options? I?m open to a variety of countertop materials. I was originally planning on laminate. It is clear a 3/4 ply base is not going to do it. Any thoughts or experience? I?ve seen this type of installation in advertising media and on the vendor sites, but have never had a close encounter with a real installation. Thanks for any help. Dan in San Diego.

Reply to
Dan

You mean as a base for the laminate? Why won't 3/4 ply do it? Should be plenty rigid enough being screwed to end/back cleats and sink base. A board on edge under the front edge would firm it up even more - and look better - but you aren't going to be putting heavy stuff on it.

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

A 2x4 cleat at the walls and 2x4 front edge with 3/4 plywood and laminate should work fine. We added laminate over gyp board walls at back and sides, since we wash small dogs in the sink. If you want drawings, let me know. I can do PDF. Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

Thanks Tom, With a 2x4 on the front edge, to you mean the counter is raised above the sink base and washer/dryer by the 3.5 + 3/4 ply? Do you finish that with laminate? Seems like it would look odd. Am I picturing it correctly? Thanks. Dan

Reply to
Dan