Latex Paint Left in the Garage to Freeze

Hi All: I mistakingly left a few good cans of Latex paint in my garage and recently the temperature has been 0 deg F. Any chance that the paint is still good?

Reply to
msterspy

Probably not, open it up if it is goopey or lumpy no. You will see it if it is bad.

Reply to
m Ransley

On 1/26/2005 12:21 PM US(ET), msterspy took fingers to keys, and typed=20 the following:

We need a couple of more facts. The temperature was 0=BA in your garage, =

or outside? And was that 0=BA F or C (32=BAF). Is the garage attached? My attached garage barely gets lower than 40=BA F, even when the outside =

temp was in the single digits, and I have used latex paint that was=20 stored in there years later (painted my garage wall with some).

--=20 Bill

Reply to
willshak

what does the label on the can say?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

If the paint has frozen, it's probably toast. It'll be obvious when you open 'er up to look.

Reply to
Andy Hill

It was 0 deg Farenhiet and my garage is not attached so outside temp = inside temp (more or less). The paint is probably no good, bu I will bring it into my warm basement and check it out. Damn stuff is awfully expensive, guess I won't make that mistake again.

Reply to
msterspy

garage

Probably no good but you can try mixing it. I did use a few cans on a chicken house that had been frozen. Tried mixing by hand but it didn't get a very smooth result. Chickens didn't seem to care.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I had some freeze-ruined latex paint once that was hopelessly lumpy. I put some in a blender and Wah Lah!...It was like new again!! I used it and and it seemed fine when it was dry.

Brad in Bend OR

Reply to
Brad Behm

I found some paint left over from the previous owner, he showed me his system of keeping paint to repair kid damaged walls in specific rooms. Being the stuff sat around for awhile before I got to using it, I used a drill-powered stir stick(like a blender). It mixed well, and went on smoothly. I think teh paint survived years of winters in the garages.

Does the freezing warning just void the warrenty?

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Yes, it voids the warranty because, depending on how it's stored, how much is in the can, etc., the latex can turn to one solid blob. Once it cures, it can't be remixed back into paint. Also the cans can rust thru, letting air in, which continues to cure the latex.

I've used old also, in one case over twenty years, 'cause it got mixed in with some old tractor paints I was recovering. Sometimes, on a larger surface, you'll get funny looking shades because it's started to pre-cure in places, but so I figure the general rule of thumb is yeah, it's OK to use, but if there was much air inthe can or it's showing signs of rusting don't use it where you insist onthe coat being perfect. Great for workshops, etc., though. I use my drill press turned to the side with a stirring bit made for the job for stirring.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Yeah, have to admit, most of the stuff I painted with old paint were small repair jobs, and wood shelviing I'm installing in my unheated garage. So no big deal if the color conformity is messed up.

3/8" power drill with a HD fan paint stirrer. Need to control speed, it can get messy. ;)

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME