Latex paint - how to get it off stone?

A little Halloween project gone awry. Red paint splatters on flagstone. Wife unhappy. How to get it off? I tried paint thinner - no effect. Then I tried Circa 1852 paint stripper followed by hot water from a garden hose. It lifted some of the paint but left most. Do I keep going with the paint stripper or is there a better product/technique?

Reply to
hhk

If it is "latex" paint, why not try some hot water of a pressure washer?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Let the other junk evaporate. Spray well with Formula 409, let it soak and not dry for about an hour. Scrub with firm brush. Rinse with hot water. 409 got dried acryllic off wood, formica, for a neighbor of ours who gave his painter too much beer. Not much will get paint OUT OF (not off of) concrete or stone. Good luck.

Reply to
Norminn

Get Goof-Off. There are a couple of products that use this name. Check the Home Depot or Lowes paint department. There may be some changes in the formula. I have an old can of it and it will take of dry latex paint. In fact, they used to say that was how you could tell if an old paint job was latex or oil. The Goof-off will remove the latex but not the oil based paint.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

After trying several cleaners and paint removers if there is still some paint left stuck in the pores, you will need to etch it out. Since the stone sounds like it is outside and thick and probably not sealed anymore, a diluted mixture of muriatic acid (or some kinds of toilet cleaner with HCL in it). This will dissolve a thin layer of the rock surface leaving a fresh new clean rock in its place and all the remaining paint will fall off.

Don't use too much acid and flush with lots of water when you are done. HCL will generally neutralize itself quickly on the ground due to the abundance of stuff to react with.

Reply to
PipeDown

For Latex, try a product named Goof Off.

Paint thinners are typically for oil based paints. The old paint stripper stuff likely was as well. The pressure washer idea wasn't a bad one either.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I was pretty sure Goof-off only works on non-porous surfaces but I'm willing to give it a shoot.

I'm going to rent an industrial strength pressure washer first. If that doesn't work, I'll let it dry and then try the 409, then the Goof-off and the muriatic acid last.

Thanks a bunch.

Reply to
hhk

Turn the stones over.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Latex paint does not respond to paint removers very well. On a latex enamel removal job I had much better success with straight lacquer thinner. It will soften it up enough remove. You might need and old toothbrush or similar to get it out of the pores and a final cleaning with a pressure washer.

DanG

Pressure washer is the way to go. You don't need industrial strength. I'm sure my 1750PSI electric would do it.

Reply to
Dan Espen

clipped

I would paint over it before I would use muriatic. A neighbor in our condo stained some furniture outdoors in a covered atrium, concrete deck, dark brown stain. The condo board was rumbling, so I got out my craft paint - acryllics in little $2 bottle from craft store, many colors. The trick was to vary the color, not apply thick coat, and feather it so it blends. Used a stencil brush, two colors, a base and a lighter, to imitate concrete coloring. It's been pressure washed since and it still hides the brown stain :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Alcohol is latex`s remover, a rag soaked with alcohol left to sit on the paint will soften it then scrub with a brush and wash. then any low pressure power washer will do. Goof off is expensive.

Reply to
m Ransley

Portable sand blaster, if outside of course!

Oren

oren

That's where I'm headed. Today, I borrowed a pressure washer and it did nothing. My neighbour across the street who restores planes came over and said calmly, "I have a sand blaster in the shop you know." Great neighbour. Gonna try that tomorrow.

Reply to
HK

Did you ever get it off? I don't have any idea if it will work or not, but I would try a propane torch. Make darn sure the stone is dry or it will likely shatter.

Reply to
Toller

Rescate

Product shill site. But thanks anyways.