Latex or oil? ? ?

If you're in a coop you'll be hiring out to do the job.. correct? So why argue? Get several bids from reputable painters (the local paint stores know who they are) who will guarantee their work and let them decide what's the best based on the finish you already have on the woodwork.

Reply to
ellhc

This may or may not apply, but what I did was add a room in my basement and used the oil based paint left over from the upstairs trim (Custom home, pro painter). I then added two more rooms and decided to use latex as it was easier to clean up, I was really disappointed in the results of the latex. The oil based trim and doors looked better and cleaned up easier than the latex so I paid for performance by making clean up easier. I learned my lesson and will always use oil on trim and doors.

Rich YMMV

Reply to
Rich

I have painted outside doors and windows several times over the last 5 years with latex primer and paint and it keeps coming off. Going to try oil based this time.

Reply to
joe

They have from the box stores but I have a few real paint stores around that carry oil based paints. The last quart I bought was $16 little steep but the doors look great. Now I just have to go buy all that trim and start painting again as soon as the weather gets cooler, to busy swimming this time of year!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Unfortunately you may need to get in your time machine to do it. Good oil base paints have pretty much disappeared with only a minimal selection of newer questionable quality low VOC paint now available.

Reply to
George

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:25:32 GMT, Andy Hill scribbled this interesting note:

In my experience, it is impossible to achieve the same quality of finish with a latex enamel. Plus they are difficult to sand.

Latex is good, even superior, for lots of applications. When it comes to interior woodwork, I'll stick with oil based, properly prepped and applied.

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

As a general rule, which is better, latex or oil paint?

We live in a coop and one of the residents are insisting on oil for our exterior woodwork. Most others want to cover with a good primer then a latex finish.

Reply to
Ray

More important is the prep and quality of hte paint. Either can be done half assed. Oil is getting more difficult to find because of regulations on VOCs, while latex has been improving in quality for years.

Ask the oil guy for some specifics of what makes it better.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I strongly second Mr. Pawlowski. The finished paint job can be only as good as the prep.

In addition, my house was repainted inside and out in October. Conversation with the paint crew chief leaves me with this position. Paint formulas change often. I would choose a painter with a good reputation and let him tell me what paint works best for the situation. Then I'd ask to see a project done with that paint.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Which latex? A good-quality latex enamel (especially sprayed-on, if you're doing new work) can look pretty darn sharp. Latex wall paint on doors and trim, OTOH, pretty much looks like crap.

Reply to
Andy Hill

"ellhc" wrote

No professional will guarantee paint on the exterior.

Reply to
Charlie Shanks

BS.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Well, maybe you won't or the ones you've dealt w/ won't, but will (and stand behind it, too). The difference is that most (virtually all?) homeowners are unwilling to pay for the prep work required, so it is rarely even bid.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The key word here Duane is _professional_. Maybe a handyperson will say they guarantee it, but, absolutely no professional will put anything in writing to guarantee an exterior paint job.

It's impossible to guarantee exterior painting due to the fact the properties of the wood have been subject to elements, and the properties are not uniform in nature. One would be foolish to guarantee fibers subjected to swelling and moisture. The adherence of primers is only as good as the wood it's being applied to.

Reply to
Charlie Shanks

"Duane Bozarth" < wrote

Duane,

I&#39;m not a painter, I&#39;m a project manager. I do not deal with homeowners, I deal with professional associations.

Exterior painting guarantee falls into the same category as if you were to demand a concrete contractor to guarantee for "no cracks" in concrete. You can also parallel it along the lines of demanding a guarantee from a carpentry contractor for no warping in wood. You will not get these guarantees in the real world of construction.

Reply to
Charlie Shanks

Good advice. We did similar when our condo was painted. I did not choose the paint brand but helped interview contractors. The guarantee included inspection by the paint company prior to painting to make sure the prep was done correctly. Reputable paint contractor, low bidder, and could not have asked for a better working relationship or outcome. The building had a number of problems, and the work took care of all. Don&#39;t forget a release of lien, or whatever they call it in your neighborhood. Paint company delivered the paint to us.

Reply to
Norminn