Latex mattresses: Why are they better?

Anyone out there own a latex mattress?
I'm curious why they are better than memory foam or conventional mattress?
I am in market for new mattress and platform and looking at alternatives hence the question.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 31, 4:44 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

They are a natural alternative. They are typically hypo-allergenic, whereas memory foam is made from polyurethane which can cause allergic reactions. They don't have an extreme chemical smell like memory foam does (although they do have their own distinct odor---it smells a bit like vanilla). They last a very long time.
Add pictures here
✖
ben wrote:

People who are allergic to latex may not like them too much though.

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Maybe the piss don't soak into it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 31, 4:44 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Foams an insulator, hot in summer. Id rather have a bed that breathes a bit. For cheap they sell thick foam matress covers you might try first. In winter I could see the benefit, not summer
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:25:20 -0700 (PDT), ransley

I still sleep on a home-built waterbed >30 yrs. It does't breathe, except for the quilted mattress pad. Feels comfy in the winter, cool in the summer, easy to keep clean and some low-tech maintenance. I'd pick conventional over latex/memory foam, though.
Add pictures here
✖

How come?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 31, 4:44 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Start your research at Consumer Reports. Then factor in the anecdotal information from friends and this NG to make your decision. That should cover most aspects quite well.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

I don't think CR has done any reviews on latex mattresses
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 31, 5:44 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

As a chemist, I've always been concerned as to the lifetime of foams compared to conventional box springs. Plastics tend to deform with time under stress. Also, chemically they may oxidize and degrade. I know our old, >20 years, king sized bed looks as unstressed as new. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to how the foams hold up.
Add pictures here
✖

Good point thanks you!
One reason why I was looking at foam and in particular late was that I am supposed to tilt my bed so that my head is 6 inches higher than my feet. I do this cause I have gastric reflux or GERD at night.
With a conventional mattress.... since it has more mass and is heavier... there is a tendency for everything to "slide south" at night. <G>
Add pictures here
✖

I have a tempur-pedic adjustable bed. You can tilt the head up or the knees up, or both. It is 9 years old and just exactly like the day I got it. No sags, no signs of age at all. A conventional mattress will sag over time, also they harbor mites etc. The Tempur pedic is not friendly to mites, therefore it is less allergenic.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
✖

My wife has GERD and has the same requirement. She sleeps on a latex mattress. She has it on a futon frame that folds, and we have the upper portion tilted up. She has no issues with the mattress sliding down.
I also forgot to mention that latex is cool in the summer while memory foam is not.
I tried a tempurpedic before I got a latex. Luckily they have a money back guarantee. The thing made the whole house smell like a chemical factory. It was unbelievable. Burned my eyes, made me cough, etc. Same with my wife. I suppose some people won't be as sensitive as I am, but I found it intolerable.
Add pictures here
✖

Does the latex mattress weigh LESS than a conventional mattress?
Also, does she have a twin size latex mattress?
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 3, 11:38 am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

hmm, maybe more. she has a 9" mattress. it's 3 layers of talalay latex with different firmnesses. they are encased in a cotton cover and a hypo-allergenic cover on top of that. so when moving it we just take it apart which makes it manageable.
you can rearrange the layers for different feels. IIRC, her ILDs (firmness numbers) are, from bottom to top, 35, 35, 28. Hers is a twin size. I sleep on a queen with ILDs of 44, 35, 35. Some days I want a firmer layer and may even try that sometime.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah I definitely DONT want memory foam!!
That's why I was thinking abt latex.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

purchased a high end latex mattress to replace a 10 year old leaking motionless waterbed mattress. Very happy with the latex mattress. Uniformily soft, perhaps slightly lighter than a 'regular' matress.
I would purchase another latex mattress (and probably will only purchase latex mattresses) in the future.
paul
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for feedback Paul!
Mind if I ask what brand it is, size, and where you bought it?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in

Depends on what you're into I guess...