Last usage of edger

Here in the northeast, i did my last edging with my 18 volt edger for the season. I recharged it and stored it in my cool and eventually colder basement utility room. Did I do the right thing about recharging it and storing it or do I have to still have to recharge it, periodically, even if Its not being used to conserve that battery?

i would recharge it monthly. avoid the battery freezing
and use primecell.com when it no longer holds a charge