Last lightbulb factory closes - sniff

Finally, someone caught-on to the OPs thoughts! And...the last sentence could be, " I don't know what the solution is, but the problem is effecting everyone of US, and about to get far worse."

Reply to
Bob Villa

Is that similar light to incandescent bulbs? It'd rather have WHITE light than that yellow.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I don't care what anyone else says, I still like to use incandescent bulbs for certain locations. Like in the bathroom, the kitchen, or the laundry room, all locations where the light is often used only for a short period, and when I want it on, I want it on now. I also want the color of the light.

Same with the fixture near my chair in the living room; when I turn that on, I want it to come on fully right away.

The other location is in my welding rod storage oven, in which a 60 watt incandescent bulb keeps it at the proper temperature for storing certain rods.

If people want to use CFL bulbs, and I do in some locations, that is great, but those of us who still have a use for incandescent bulbs should be able to buy them whenever we feel we have the need. I would rather not have to stockpile 50 years' worth of bulbs, but if it comes down to it, I'll have to do just that. Bastards.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken
[snip]

Places where it gets too cold or hot for CFLs to work right.

Some switches (like dimmers and remotes) depend on current through the bulb, and don't work right with CFLs.

[snip]

I use a fluorscent fixture (4-foot T8, not CFL) behind my chair. Good white light (you can get "yellow" tubes too) and it doesn't take too long to light.

BTW, the only CFLs I've seen that take longer than a second to come on are a couple of outdoor floodlights.

Another use for incandescents. My grandmother used them in her greenhouse for that reason (heat).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yes, it is close to soft white incandescent.

Reply to
Robert Neville

You'll like the 2700. It is whiter than the incandescent. After years on avoiding sickly green CFL, we went to a Friendly's restaurant and it looked very bright in there. They replaced all the bulbs with the newer CFLs. I went and bought some a few days later.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

2700K CFLs mostly approximate incandescents of one sort or another, though some 2700K CFLs (mostly older types and higher wattages) are a bit pinkish in comparison to incandescents that they "best approximate".

For a whiter light, which I prefer, I like 3500K CFLs. 3500K is a "whiter warm white", similar to higher color temp. halogen, projector, and photoflood incandescents.

Both Lowes and Home Depot have a wide enough range of wattages of 3500K spiral CFLs.

Please keep in mind that the whiter 3500K may have a bit of "dreary gray effect" in dimmer home lighting situations such as dimmish basement and hallway lighting.

For the next step to "truly white", that is 4100 K. My favorite source of those is many hardware stores carrying the "Westpointe" line by the "True Value" hardware store supplier. Even though the color is like that of "average direct sunlight", it easily gets "dreary grayish" unless illumination level is "nice-and-bright" like that of offices, classrooms and more-brightly-illuminated retail stores.

Even higher color temperature such as 5500K (Home Depot) or 6500K (Lowes or Target) is good in dimmer situations when "dreary gray" but "adequate but dimmish" illumination is OK, such as many places outdoors at night, or "nightlighting" of hallways, stairways and basements. Such higher-K icy-cold-slightly-bluish white has a spectrum favorable to making use of "night vision".

Reply to
Don Klipstein

The upcoming "incandescent ban" has a set of loopholes that the Mississippi River can be rerouted through, "in my words".

Merely most and not all of the exemptions:

  • Reflectorized bulbs such as R, BR, K-reflectorized and PAR types
  • Ones producing over 2600 lumens (which better 150W ones do)
  • Ones producing less than 310 lumens (nearly all 120V incandescents 25 watts or less and most low voltage ones 15 watts or less, as well as all 15 watts or less that fail to be exempted on basis of meeting/ exceeding an efficiency efficiency standard)
  • Ones of tubular or vanity-globe/decorative-globe or flame shape
  • Ones with base other than right-hand E26/E27 medium screw

(Exempts nearly all automotive and most other miniature types as well as most photographic/projection incandescents, including most of the minority of such that fails to be exempted on basis of bulb style, design voltage, or design light output outside the range of 310-2600 lumens)

  • Ones with design voltage outside the range of 110-130 volts

(That exemption includes nearly all automotive incandescents, incandescent flashlight bulbs, etc. even in the unlikely event no other exemptions apply)

  • Ones that meet/exceed an energy efficiency standard that a few incandescents now meet, notably including Philips "Halogena Energy Saver" of "roughly regular lightbulb shape and size"
  • "Rough Service" / "Vibration Service" / "Shatter Resistant"
  • 3-way

  • Traffic Signal

  • Mine, Train, Marine

  • "S-shape" theater marquee units

  • Bug non-atracting lamps

  • Most colored ones, but not "daylight" nor "enrich"/"reveal"/"neodymium" unless exempted by any of the many other means of exemption

Reply to
Don Klipstein

This house is 2-1/2 years old. The only bulb, of 50, that has been changed are is the ceiling fan on the back porch, where heat and vibration team up. I have no use for CFLs and will never install them, at least until I have no choice. I will have ~300-400 by the time the ban goes into effect. Since I've used one in two years, I should be set for a while.

Reply to
krw

Then you're wasting far more electricity than I am, even with your "green" bulbs.

Reply to
krw

Yep, other than the "cold temperature" part, that's all I have. All of my bulbs are visible (chandeliers, sconces, ceiling fans), thus "decorative". CFLs are ugly. None, except the outside lights burn more than an hour or so a day (kitchen, bathroom) and most are five to ten minutes at a crack. CFLs make *no* sense.

Reply to
krw

wrote

I'd have agreed with you a few years ago. Now the CFLs can be as good or better than the incans and I'm saving $$$ to boot. I actually prefer the whiter light from the CFL bulbs we now have.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We had can lighting in the kitchen in our previous house and I much preferred halogen spots; very bright white. ALl of our bulbs now are unfrosted and visible, so no halogens. CFLs would be incredibly ugly. The only place I've used a CFL, grudgingly, was in a fan over the stairs where it was a RPITA to change and vibration kept killing incandescents. In the Winter it would take five minutes to come up to full brightness. That light was *rarely* on five minutes (only used to light the stairs).

Reply to
krw

I dropped a CFL a couple of weeks ago. Cleanup would have been much easier had it been an incandescent.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

EPA says all one has to do is sweep it up and dump it into a zip-seal plastic bag and then dump it in the trash. Maybe go over the breakage site with tape to get up smaller pieces, and put the tape in the same sealed bag. If local laws say it can't go in the trash, then contact your local sanitation department or

Don Klipstein

Yes, I am that old, but DAMHIKT.

AFAIK they are still available and sometimes used on those strings of light bulbs used on construction sites, for the same anti theft reason.

Here's one:

Though I've read that Sylvania is closing its its US lamp bulb manufacturing plants, so I don't know if those bulbs will be available in the future. But Phillips shows some LHT bulbs too.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Many, many years ago, I worked for an electrical supply company and shipped out many a left handed light string sockets and bulbs to construction companies. The bulbs were a lot of fun to slip into someone's supply of light bulbs. It's a great gag to pull on friends and family. The sheer frustration they suffer when trying to replace a burned out bulb is quite entertaining. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yeah, but it's one of those gags you might have to wait a long time to see or hear about, unless you volunteer to run out and get them a bulb when one burns out and hand it to them to replace.

Am I the only guy who routinely rubs the base of a bulb I'm about to screw or bayonet into a socket on both sides of my nose to coat it with nasal sebum so it wont "freeze" into the socket?

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

"Dear, can you do something about this squeaking drawer?" "Sure Baby!" "Oh my God! What are you doing!"..........

Hey homes, jew must have a big nose, man.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Because air is free!

Yes, I grew up in a mostly Jewish neighborhood. I've heard a lot of Jew jokes, and most of them told by the Jewish boys I played with. They told Christian jokes, too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon