Last lightbulb factory closes - sniff

Page 2 of 3

Then you're wasting far more electricity than I am, even with your "green" bulbs.

Add pictures here
✖

Yep, other than the "cold temperature" part, that's all I have. All of my bulbs are visible (chandeliers, sconces, ceiling fans), thus "decorative". CFLs are ugly. None, except the outside lights burn more than an hour or so a day (kitchen, bathroom) and most are five to ten minutes at a crack. CFLs make *no* sense.
Add pictures here
✖

I dropped a CFL a couple of weeks ago. Cleanup would have been much easier had it been an incandescent.
Cindy Hamilton
Add pictures here
✖
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

EPA says all one has to do is sweep it up and dump it into a zip-seal plastic bag and then dump it in the trash. Maybe go over the breakage site with tape to get up smaller pieces, and put the tape in the same sealed bag. If local laws say it can't go in the trash, then contact your local sanitation department or www.lamprecycle.org.

✖
On Sep 13, 4:59 pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Tape. I hadn't thought of that. I was stressing over how to get the last miniscule pieces without vacuuming.
By Jove, I think this Internet thing might actually catch on.
Thanks,
Cindy
Add pictures here
✖
By the time you finish with your wisk and dust pan, there's not enough glass, or glass and mercury to be concerned with.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Perhaps I'm the world's worst whisker. There were still plenty of really tiny pieces of glass. I dropped the bulb on the subfloor where we're about to put down cork flooring, and I wanted to get up as much as possible.
I'm not really worried about the mercury; I probably get more in me when I eat fish.
DH asked if the bulb was hot (it wasn't); if it had been hot, the mercury would likely have mostly been released into the air rather than stuck to the glass.
Cindy Hamilton
Add pictures here
✖

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/07/AR2010090706933.html
Add pictures here
✖

Appliance (including "home oven") and tubular bulbs are among the exemptions from the upcoming ban.
Both of those even come in 40 watts.

✖
Don Klipstein wrote:

How about the left hand threaded Edison base bulbs like the ones they used to use on streetcars to discourage theft by passengers? <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Those are also exempt from the upcoming ban.
http://members.misty.com/don/incban.html

✖

Jeff, are you that old? I remember streetcars and buses...never knew that!
Add pictures here
✖
Bob Villa wrote:

Yes, I am that old, but DAMHIKT. <G>
AFAIK they are still available and sometimes used on those strings of light bulbs used on construction sites, for the same anti theft reason.
Here's one:
http://www.elightbulbs.com/Sylvania-12909-100A21-LHT-120V-A21-Light-Bulb
Though I've read that Sylvania is closing its its US lamp bulb manufacturing plants, so I don't know if those bulbs will be available in the future. But Phillips shows some LHT bulbs too.
http://www.elightbulbs.com/Philips-374140-100A-LHT-A19-Light-Bulb
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 9/13/2010 4:42 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Many, many years ago, I worked for an electrical supply company and shipped out many a left handed light string sockets and bulbs to construction companies. The bulbs were a lot of fun to slip into someone's supply of light bulbs. It's a great gag to pull on friends and family. The sheer frustration they suffer when trying to replace a burned out bulb is quite entertaining. 8-)
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yeah, but it's one of those gags you might have to wait a long time to see or hear about, unless you volunteer to run out and get them a bulb when one burns out and hand it to them to replace.
Am I the only guy who routinely rubs the base of a bulb I'm about to screw or bayonet into a socket on both sides of my nose to coat it with nasal sebum so it wont "freeze" into the socket?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_sebum
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 9/13/2010 9:45 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

"Dear, can you do something about this squeaking drawer?" "Sure Baby!" "Oh my God! What are you doing!"..........
Hey homes, jew must have a big nose, man.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Because air is free!
Yes, I grew up in a mostly Jewish neighborhood. I've heard a lot of Jew jokes, and most of them told by the Jewish boys I played with. They told Christian jokes, too.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 9/14/2010 6:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wasn't referring to Jews, perhaps my little Mexican homey should have said "jou have a beeg nose" but the double meaning of the joke wouldn't have worked.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I'll take that as a reference to the last word of this thread's subject. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

A hit of LSD will do it. At least for a few hours, anyway. You'll even see colors you didn't know your Lava Lamp could make.

And Dubya signed it into law! What a guy.

They actually do have CFLs encased in a plastic "bulb" that looks almost exactly like a real incandescent, but costs ten times as much. Ah, government-mandated "progress".
I've stocked-up on so many incandescents I'm probably OK until the next millennium. Or until I'm dead, whichever comes first.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖