laser measuring devices

Page 2 of 2
Chris Lewis wrote:

I imagine it is similar to the method of measuring the thickness of very thin sheets or coatings. You can do it using interference colors (like the colors you see on an oil slick). Don't even need any measurement equipment except your eyeball since the reflected color varies with the thickness. Color blind people not allowed.
Cool, thanks for pointing that out. I learned something new.
Mike
Paul Franklin wrote:

That's how GPS works. They match up a 1023 bit random string of bits to get the high accuracy after a course measurement by more standard techniques.
-snip-

I bought one of the second type when the borg lowered the price from $45 to $15. I've gotten $5 worth of entertainment from it. I consider the other $10 the cost of 'lessons learned'.
Because they use sonar, the texture of a surface throws it off. How squarely you hit the surface also affects it- often in some weird ways. Playing with it, I think there are more variables, but all in all I wouldn't ever trust a critical measurement to it.
Never used the other type.
Jim