Laser levels - why not just use a ball of string?

Page 4 of 4
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Position the laser in the open doorway and project a horizontal line, inside and out, at the height where you want to the holes to be. If you position the laser just right, you'll be able to see the line of light running along the drill bit. Use that as a guide to drill the first hole dead level, and then repeat from the other side. The shadow of the door-frame may get in the way, so you may need to re-position the laser to do the other side (make a mark on the door-frame so you can return to the same height).
--
Ian White

When I first started working with my Dad years ago we were doing apartment complexes in the Pittsburgh area and these were split level 3 story buildings built into a hillside, we used a plumb bob a string and a transit to lay out every footing. We worked on these things for years and NEVER had a complaint from the carpenters. I have used laser levels (comercial grade) before but for something that really matters or to check the laser the old method cannot be beat.. and here is the catch if you dont have a basic understanding of level and plumb you can lay out something with a laser used by NASA an it still would be wrong..believe me I have to go back and fix this kind of crap all the time. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Italian Mason wrote:

I hope your American TV doesn't show 'Grand Designs' - your blood pressure probably couldn't stand it. In last night's repeat, the architects had tried to "help" the self-builders to lay out a large arc of concrete block piers for steelwork... and were out by 2 feet.
--
Ian White