Laser levels - why not just use a ball of string?

Page 3 of 4

I once saw some drainage laid out on site with had been levelled with string. LOL

Because only the cat gets any fun playing with a ball of string.
Phil Anthropist wrote:

And, more to the point, it doesn't show any interest in the laser level and hence you are free to get on with the job. (been there done that... little bugger)
Mathew
Mathew Newton wrote:

There may be something wrong with your cat !
Ours chases the laser dot to exhaustion. We call it the "cat exerciser."
HeyBub wrote:

I was more referring to the line... but, yes, a dot sends them nutty. I reckon I could actually kill one of ours through exhaustion as they don't seem to know when they're worn out.
Indeed, I never knew cats panted until I got a laser pointer...
Mathew
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Indeed.
Ours did, until they figured out that even when they caught it, they didn't.

Would you believe: US Patent # 5,443,036 "Method of Exercising a Cat".
Abstract:
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists od directing a beam of invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor or wall or other opaque surface in the vicinity of the cat, then moving the laser so as to cause the bright pattern of light to move in an irregular way fascinating to cats, and to any other animal with a chase instinct."
--
Keith

HeyBub wrote:

Yup, I have a laser pointer called "Kitty Remote" ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

We have two cats a tiny, bright (for a cat) black one and a rather dim but very loveable fat grey one. The grey cat will run the entire length of the house, sliding to a crashing halt each end chasing that little red dot, until exhaustion, . The black one on the other hand shows absolutely no interest at all. It took me months to figure out that she could actually see the dot but just isn't interested in chasing it unlike all the local wildlife or indeed string.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary
snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com says...

room?
--
Keith

Highly advanced mathematics:
No force on earth however great Can stretch a string however fine into a horizontal line which will be absolutely straight

Norman Billingham wrote:

I read a long time ago, that if a fly lands on a horizontally installed steel girder, the girder will sag from the fly's weight. Of course, the sag can only be measured with some very expensive equipment that none of us possess.
- Bill In Hamptonburgh, NY To Email, remove the double zeroes after 'at'
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Not string. Bucket, water, and tubing:
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/WaterLevel.htm

String also involves the use of grey matter. Something that is lacking in most people today. You have to know how to do it to do it.
Everything that is done with a laser can be done with string, measuring tape, level, and half a brain. Except, that is, to throw a red dot out there that the cat can play with.
Now, there are two lasers. Real lasers and play lasers. Real lasers can be useful in throwing a line all around a room, or against a building, or otherwise put up a mark that is easier than using the old ways. It is just that they are very expensive, and one must know a lot about how to make them work, and be sure that they are working properly. Anyone can throw up a laser line, attach cabinets or molding, and be done with it. But, is it right? Or do you end up with a kitchen full of crooked cabinets and molding before you realize the thing is off?
Takes less time to do it the old way.
Steve
Anyone can throw up a

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

How long would it have to be?
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

The beam of light from a ball of string is crap.
--

Dave

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Tried stretching a string 600 feet or so?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Tried pointing a piece of string, from a ladder at one end?
Tried drilling two holes at right-angles from different sides of a door frame, and having the ends meet up exactly?
--
Ian White

Ian White wrote:

How you do that?