Laser levels - why not just use a ball of string?

Page 1 of 4
Laser levels - why not just use string?
Where would you put the batteries?

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

laser levels look cooler .. lots cooler !
I cant think of one other reason why I use my laser level, but it was a bargin at 3 quid and its cool
I defy anyone who is handed a laser level not to turn it on and put thier finger in front of it. Its like an in built pavlovs dog response. You KNOW you couldnt use it to cut Sean Connery in half , but you have to check anyway.
Your right , string, level etc work just as well, they are a gadget, but I'm a sucker for any gadjet that had large red buttons :)
Each to his own I suppose
On 25 Aug 2006 03:54:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Blame man's primeval instinct for blinkin' gadgets. Or did moths develop that instinct first?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, 8/25/2006,6:38:02 AM, wrote:

How would you impress your neighbors?
badgolferman wrote:

High tech string, of course. Don't have any? It is fantastic! Point the free end at the destination point, squeeze the ball and it unwinds, extends free end out to where you want it, rolls the excess back onto the ball and maintains correct tension to place a straight line along it's length. It comes with free accessories - a levitator, so you can mark without holding the ball of string, and a carrying case, with lock, so it doesn't jump out and scare the neighbors.
Norminn, 8/25/2006,8:05:31 AM, wrote:

You're confused, my friend. In our area we call that tape.
On 25 Aug 2006 03:38:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Or a bubble level. I installed 1000's of feet of crown molding without a laser level. I used a 4 foot level and a pencil mark.

What the F*&K is a pencil? Could you use a lap top?

or GPS maybe.

How do you level the string, how do you obtain a single 'correct' reference high by using string, yes I know it is possible to do it with string, tape measure and bubble level but it's a lot easier to use a laser and stand!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

so true. Last time I used one I quickly realised a large spirit level was much quicker.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

They look better in the dark.
Seriously though, there are many uses when it's just 'easier' to use one over the other.
For example, whilst plasterboarding a ceiling recently I set the the laser level on the floor marking out where the centre joist was... with the board then in position it was a simple task to then screw down this line. Sure, I could've marked the position of the joist at both ends and drawn a line across, or lay some string between the two points, or even just judged it by eye, but my cheap-and-cheerful laser level made it a no brainer.
Horses for courses at the end of the day...
Another thought, which may be pushing things a bit too far, is that a piece of string suspended between two points is never going to be perfectly level (in terms of being straight) - there will always be a slight curve in it no matter how tensioned the string is (particularly so over longer distances). Of course, in practice the curve may not make any difference to the task and indeed my cheapo laser prism may not be any better!
Mathew
Mathew Newton wrote:

..By that I do of course mean the laser illuminated a line on the joist (and subsequently the plasterboard) as opposed to the floor..

May no harm befall you,
flip

Yet Hover Dam, the Golden Gate, Empire State Bldg, etc. still stand.
They must have had laser pencils and GPS's in their lunch boxes though :-)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

"There is no force, however great, Can stretch a cord, however fine, Into a horizontal line, Which is accurately straight" (W Whewell, Elementary Treatise on Mechanics 1st ed, p 44).
Douglas de Lacey

Ah, d'yer remember the way exam questions were phrased? "Two masses are connected with a light inextensible string..."
--
Skipweasel
When your not using it as a level, it makes an OK cat toy (with the laser is on).
In uk.d-i-y, Douglas de Lacey wrote:

Surely a line can be perfectly straight or perfectly horizontal, but not both. Except for a zero-length line, of course.
--
Mike Barnes