Laser level recommendation?

Page 2 of 2

If there's no ceiling, what do you propose to project your laser dot onto???

You're not going to save 5 seconds per housing, let alone 5 minutes.
If you're going to try to use a laser for this, you need to make sure it's *absolutely* *dead* *level* -- and you need to readjust at every light, because you can't be sure that your floor is level, or out of level to the same extent in the same direction, at every point. Aligning the laser is going to take FAR more time than just laying this out with a tape measure and a pencil.
Why on earth do you think you need that degree of precision, anyway? You're installing ceiling lights, for heaven's sake, you're not making a watch.

The actual housing itself. If there is nothing there than no surface to mark and the laser would have nothing to project to. However once I get up there with the housing and put it in place, then I can use it to position the housing while the housing is occupying that space, and mount it right then right there.

It's not that I need the precision, although I did say that I want "precision" what I was looking for was convenience without having to measure and mark onto a non-surface since I already did all the markings on the floor already. Another poster mentioned those old fashion projector laser pointer than we all used to use in the old days and I think I have one of those if I can find them I will just use that. Put it on the floor mark facing up and I should have a good reference on the ceiling to mount. If it's off a bit no big deal.

Then lay out the locations with a tape measure -- which you could have already done in the time you've spent discussing lasers here.
In wrote:

or he could have just laid out a story stick and popped a chalk line

Well I have not started the project yet. I always do a two to three week look-ahead, so I am not hanging lights, stop, come to my computer, sit idle and ask a few questions. I try to plan ahead to make sure I have all the information and pieces I need, then when I execute I have minimum disruptions. Does not always work out that way. So while I am discussing lasers, my current project is actually wiring my internet cable and doing formwork for my outside planters. The lights will come in a few weeks and I think a laser will help a great deal.
I have already done the tape measuring, snapped chalk lines etc... on the floor. I just want an easy way to hang the lights into the hollow space between the joists by transferring the location from the floor to the ceiling without having to put stuff there to mark that will become an obstacle when I do the hanging.
The laser will do the trick, I found one for about $50 will do it just fine and will be a great help on other projects down the road.
MC
I have this one. http://www.acculinepro.com/ap/product.php?id@-6680 It was quite a bit cheaper than the Spectra Physics. It only shoots a spot, not a line. Most good lasers are self leveling within some limit and turn off or make an audible sound if out of level.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

BTW, the PLS-5 laser I mentioned above is self leveling, a real time saver. It would spot the location perfectly for every one of your 42 lights in 5 seconds or less. I used mine on a recent project to get the roof location for a furnace vent. The pipe went up perfectly plumb. Next up, same thing for a plumbing vent stack. Great for checking joist level before drywall, too.
Joe
Joe

If it is in the budget, buy one that will do the most. This time you need it for this, next time, who knows what you'll need it for. They are handy handy tools, and you will find its value when it saves you hours of work, or some relocation of misplaced widgets. Good ones can be bought used or at pawn shops for very reasonable prices. I have a POS Ryobi that so far will only throw one plane of light vertically. I have e mailed them, but so far they give me indecipherable answers. It levels with bubble levels, so is not very accurate. It is useful for a few limited things, but next time, it will be a self leveling with multiple features. It's the kind of tool you use once a year, but well worth it even at that rate. Maybe you'll use it more than that, and it sure saves time and work.
Steve

What do you think about the danger of eye injury with those things?

It is real. Just like the sun. If you stare into it, it will damage your eyes. But there are so few people who actually stare at the sun until blindness, it rarely ever happens. Just like lasers. The smaller lasers WILL harm your eyes. The big ones just burn anything they touch. The smaller ones will only harm you with excessive exposure.
So, unless you're going to stare into it for long periods of time, there is no danger.
Steve

If you're dumb enough to stare into it for some minutes, injury is possible, even with the low outputs of the devices. So is staring into the sun at high noon. And arc welding without a helmet. AFAIK, shining lasers at airliners can get you in trouble, but the incidents of office workers being blinded by laser pointers is close to zero. All the instruments have printed warnings. People who lack the common sense to heed the warnings will always suffer the consequences. Like in politics.
Joe