Large wasp nest

You think you've got problems.
"[UK] Britain's biggest wasp nest has been discovered in a pub in Southampton... measuring a staggering 6ft by 5ft and containing half a million insects.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299744/Britains-biggest-wasps-nest-nearly-big-car-pub-attic.html#ixzz0vbY7voyX
Add pictures here
✖

The article is entitled:
"Wasps' nest nearly as big as a car found in pub attic"
I'd like to know how they got the car into the attic.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:38:07 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Drunken students, probably. You don't need many people to move something like an old-style Mini ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 4, 9:08 am, Jules Richardson

Or engineering students.
http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-08/extreme-engineering
Add pictures here
✖

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299744/Britains-biggest-wasps-nest-nearly-big-car-pub-attic.html#ixzz0vbY7voyX
Damn! ....that's reasonable grounds to bring in a Vergeltungswaffe 2 (V2 rocket)! An M2 flamethrower at the very least. Also, I recommend two of either one ....er 2. ;)
nb
Add pictures here
✖

Heh, if the character who stole MY hornets' nest were there, dat nest would be *gone*!
--
EA

> nb
✖

Those are hornets, not wasps. That is actually worse. Wasps are not as aggressive.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I dunno, I've enountered a lot of hornets (bald faced in this part of the world), and they tend to leave me alone.
I'd imagine they wouldn't take too kindly to their nest being buggered, though, but the few I've had in my smoker over the years didn't put up any trouble when I disturbed them.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 00:25:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hornets *are* wasps. But I don't see any mention of species-- or a good enough picture to see what they are. Did you?
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:38:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Yeah, I thought that - where's the picture? I didn't see anything in the article to say they weren't plain ol' wasps.
(I recall UK wasps as being naturally far more agressive than the ones I see now here in the US - and UK hornets being quite rare things, often seen in isolation)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖

I totally agree. In order for me to post my illuminati opinion, I must have genus, specie, and DNA sample.
Amateurs!
Steve ;-)
✖

I suppose you call all of those stinging insects "bees". ;-) As a general rule bees and hornets live inside the nest. Wasps only use the nest to lay eggs in and they live outside the nest. Some years ago I did do a study on these animals and had a board with about 2 dozen different varieties of bee/hornet/wasp type insects to try to clear the air on this.
I assume there are cultural differences and people do blur the line between them in different places but this is the way I have been taught.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

-snip-
No-- The order of Hymenoptera is made up of Bees, Wasps, and ants. Hornets are wasps. [no hair, don't eat pollen & have slender waist]

General rule, but not all-- See the Mexican honey wasp nest- http://www.flickr.com/photos/72915472@N00/2824600160 / [that guy has quite a collection]

This is the way I learned it-- though not from CO; http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/whatis.htm
Note that they lump the hornets and yellowjackets in with the social wasps.
So did you see a species mentioned, or do you know that was a hornets nest in the UK?
BTW- here's a big nest in New Zealand- identified as a wasp nest. http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/vespids/intro.html
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

What did they expect to find in Britain, WOPs?
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/3/2010 10:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299744/Britains-biggest-wasps-nest-nearly-big-car-pub-attic.html#ixzz0vbY7voyX
Imagine this, a huge nest weighs so much that it crashes through the ceiling upon some unsuspecting drunks. How would they react, the drunks not the wasps? 8-)
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Do you always find it necessary to spew every thought you have? A conversation with you must be really boring.
You could try thinking about whether this crap is on topic.
Add pictures here
✖

Do you think you could post some snippage to let people know WTF YOU are talking about? Insects in an attic is a common problem for many home repair people.
Steve
✖