Large wasp nest

You think you've got problems.

"[UK] Britain's biggest wasp nest has been discovered in a pub in Southampton... measuring a staggering 6ft by 5ft and containing half a million insects.

HeyBub

The article is entitled:

"Wasps' nest nearly as big as a car found in pub attic"

I'd like to know how they got the car into the attic.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Damn! ....that's reasonable grounds to bring in a Vergeltungswaffe 2 (V2 rocket)! An M2 flamethrower at the very least. Also, I recommend two of either one ....er 2. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Those are hornets, not wasps. That is actually worse. Wasps are not as aggressive.

Reply to
gfretwell

What did they expect to find in Britain, WOPs?

Reply to
krw

Heh, if the character who stole MY hornets' nest were there, dat nest would be *gone*!

Reply to
Existential Angst

I dunno, I've enountered a lot of hornets (bald faced in this part of the world), and they tend to leave me alone.

I'd imagine they wouldn't take too kindly to their nest being buggered, though, but the few I've had in my smoker over the years didn't put up any trouble when I disturbed them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Imagine this, a huge nest weighs so much that it crashes through the ceiling upon some unsuspecting drunks. How would they react, the drunks not the wasps? 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Drunken students, probably. You don't need many people to move something like an old-style Mini ;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Hornets *are* wasps. But I don't see any mention of species-- or a good enough picture to see what they are. Did you?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yeah, I thought that - where's the picture? I didn't see anything in the article to say they weren't plain ol' wasps.

(I recall UK wasps as being naturally far more agressive than the ones I see now here in the US - and UK hornets being quite rare things, often seen in isolation)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Do you always find it necessary to spew every thought you have? A conversation with you must be really boring.

You could try thinking about whether this crap is on topic.

Reply to
Bob F

I totally agree. In order for me to post my illuminati opinion, I must have genus, specie, and DNA sample.

Amateurs!

Steve ;-)

visit my blog at

Steve B

Do you think you could post some snippage to let people know WTF YOU are talking about? Insects in an attic is a common problem for many home repair people.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Or engineering students.

DerbyDad03

I suppose you call all of those stinging insects "bees". ;-) As a general rule bees and hornets live inside the nest. Wasps only use the nest to lay eggs in and they live outside the nest. Some years ago I did do a study on these animals and had a board with about 2 dozen different varieties of bee/hornet/wasp type insects to try to clear the air on this.

I assume there are cultural differences and people do blur the line between them in different places but this is the way I have been taught.

Reply to
gfretwell

No-- The order of Hymenoptera is made up of Bees, Wasps, and ants. Hornets are wasps. [no hair, don't eat pollen & have slender waist]

General rule, but not all-- See the Mexican honey wasp nest-

guy has quite a collection]

This is the way I learned it-- though not from CO;

Note that they lump the hornets and yellowjackets in with the social wasps.

So did you see a species mentioned, or do you know that was a hornets nest in the UK?

BTW- here's a big nest in New Zealand- identified as a wasp nest.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht