Large volume caulking?

Page 1 of 2
Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space such as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is awkward to reach?
Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk.
TIA
On 09/10/2014 9:02 AM, KenK wrote:

Spray foam is about only thing that comes to mind...just don't overfill a constrained space or it'll pop wallboard nails, etc., etc., etc., ... as it expands.

On 09/10/2014 9:19 AM, dpb wrote:

If it's masonry/concrete w/ a missing chunk, start with backer rod or other filler material.
Undoubtedly more info and particularly a picture posted somewhere would be of great benefit in targeting any answers to the actual situation.

That's a very vague question. A crack in wood? Concrete? Inside? Outside? "several inches deep and more inches wide" Does that mean it's 1" x 6"+? That's not really a crack. It's an opening. There are many ways to deal with that but it really depends on the details. As dpb said, there's always sprayfoam insulation, but that's very lightweight. It won't stop mice and may not stop bugs.
| Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that | can be easily applied from a squirt or spray can to fill a large space such | as an inch or so crack several inches deep and more inches wide that is | awkward to reach? | | Something that then sets to the density of regular tube caulk. | | TIA | | | -- | You know it's time to clean the refrigerator | when something closes the door from the inside. | | | | | |
Spray foam comes in two varieties, expanding, that will bend walls, and a m ore gentle expansion meant for those applications where you don't want a hi gh-pressure build-up from the foam. Once the foam sets, you can cover it w ith a thin layer of caulk if desired.

Where can I find this in the store? With what other more common stuff? Insulation? Caulk? Elsewhere?
TIA
Poorly fitting plywood used in window frame to mount evaporative cooler. Plywood is warping away from siding. I intend to try some screws to bend it back. If unsuccessful need to fill in space to keep water leaking in at warped spot out of house. I've tried caulk but it doesn't work in this situation for some reason. Keeps opening up gap. Replacing plywood beyond my capabilities and budget.

On 9/10/2014 1:52 PM, KenK wrote:

If you are elderly or disabled, there might be social service agencies that can assist with the work or financials....dial 211 if the phone co in your neighborhood uses that system for getting referral assistance.
It's hard to picture the situation, but a can of premixed latex stucco repair (unsanded) might do the trick temporarily....I used it to repair stucco on concrete block and even to "mortar" in some cement bricks to fill a void in ccb. It is paintable, cheap and easy to use. Thick applications shrink a tad and might require a second app; be sure the area is dry first, then caulk around that and paint it. It certainly isn't a great repair, but probably better at keeping out the elements than spray foam.
If those aren't do-able, call a siding company or handyman for an estimate; there are good-hearted folks who might just do the job gratis; BTDT.
KenK;3282057 Wrote: > Is there a product like caulking but softer when applied? Something that >

> such

A Sashco product called "Big Stretch" might fit the bill here.
It's an acrylic caulk that dries to a softer rubbery consistancy, a bit softer than silicone caulk. And, it's meant to stretch and compress with joints that have large amounts of movement.
'Big Stretch? by Sashco, Acrylic Latex Caulk' (http://www.sashco.com/products/big-stretch /)
--
nestork

KenK posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Foam is one thing but you might need backer rod prior to caulking. Don't know the circumstances.
--
Tekkie

| Poorly fitting plywood used in window frame to mount evaporative cooler. | Plywood is warping away from siding. I intend to try some screws to bend | it back. If unsuccessful need to fill in space to keep water leaking in | at warped spot out of house.
I still can't picture it, but if rain is getting into a vertical gap I wonder if maybe a strip of aluminum flashing would help.
| I've tried caulk but it doesn't work in | this situation for some reason. Keeps opening up gap.
That may be from expansion and contraction of the plywood. If it has to resist water and needs to stick well then maybe the polyurethane construction adhesive would be best. (Not the regular stuff. That's been downgraded to be fairly useless for much of anything. I don't know why. Maybe it was a VOC issue.)
The spray foam is for insulation. It wouldn't work well to stop water getting through.

I'd just glue some plastic sheeting where its leaking. Make it a bit loose. You can use caulking as the glue.

Any chance that you can take a photo or two with a digital camera and use a free website like http://tinypic.comto post a link to those photos?
Maybe one photo from a wider angle and one or two close-ups.

I started working on it this morning before I read this. Wanted to put a couple of screws in mounting plywood to close the gap but it was too awkward to work at top of stepladder.
Split open a small tube of caulking and applied it with a putty knife. Ended up using two small tubes. Messy but seemed to work well. Will leave it set and in a day or two just use a tube normally to touch up what I missed.
Will run an A/C cord to it and drill a couple holes for the screws one morning soon. Should be able to do that from the ladder. Then perhaps I can put in the screws.

Thanks. Sounds like what I need. Will look for it if my current repair doesn't last.

Maybe later if suggestions here and my current repair don't do the job.
KenK;3282560 Wrote: >

If you're going to spread caulking like that, you might have been better off using a base coat plaster like USG's Perlite Admix or GP's Structolite. Base coat plasters are both sticky and light, making them a good option for filling a large void. And, they spread relatively smoothly. Considerably more smoothly than you can spread caulk, I'd say.
--
nestork

A photo of the completed or in-process job would be great.

I suppose you can avoid that by spraying in a little at a time, waiting until it stops expanding before spraying any more.
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 20:22:41 +0200, nestork

Sounds like what I need too. For my bathtub. It sounds like this would work, buit they don't list bathrooms or tubs for this.
They have Lexel and Mildew-free. Do you have experience with either of these?
With their webpage, I found many places that sell their brand, including one Ace Hardware I will drive by within two weeks, and one new store, not part of a chain afaict., I didn't know existed that now I want to see.