* Large tiles in shower??

Hello there;

I am redoing my shower, I replaced the walls with hardibacker board (vapor barrier as well)

and now I'm ready to tile. I noticed that most showers use small tiles but I would like to use

16 x 16 tiles (Low water absorption). Is there any reason why we don't see too many large tiles

in walls? is there any tip I should know before I do it? Can it be done??

Thank you in advance,

Kathy

Reply to
Kathy

Whatever looks right to you, but it is easier to disguise any uneven parts of wall with smaller tile. Personally, if I ever feel rich enough to get a gut job done on my bathroom, I'm gonna go for solid surface panels in the tub enclosure. I hate cleaning grout joints. The bigger the tile, the more time needed to square up opening and shim the studs, but it sounds like you are already past that point. I'd check yours carefully with framing square and straightedge, before you buy your tile. You don't want a high spot to show.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Thank you for your reply, what do you think about the tiles been heavier than smaller ones, any problem? (I checked and they are about 6 lbs/each), hard to install?

Reply to
Kathy

It shouldn't be a problem. I'd use the "X" spacers between them and appropriately trimmed below the bottom row just to be sure things stay in place. Don't mix your thinset too thin.

I used 12x12 tiles and had no problem, even on the ceiling.

Reply to
Bob F

*I have 12"x12". You must make sure that your wall surface is perfectly flat otherwise the unevenness will be very evident when you install the tiles. Hold a 4' level against the hardibacker surface and see if there are high or low spots. Grind down the high spots with an angle grinder (Very dusty; wear mask and goggles). Use thinset and not glue with a 3/8" notch. Go with a bigger joint such as 3/16". I used Laticrete Spectra Lock epoxy based grout (Get it at Lowes). It is more expensive but is resistant to staining and mold and never needs sealing. I choose to install my tiles brick style with alternating joints rather than continuous rows. I am very happy with the look.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Walls would be no problem...just plan your layout so you don't wind up with skinny pieces at the edges.

Small tiles are easier to use on the floor because the floor isn't flat (has to drain). Big tiles can be used there too but need to be cut to conform to the slope on each of the four sides...slopes that form triangles from each corner to the drain.

Elsewhere, you wondered about weight...a square foot of tiles of the same thickness will weigh pretty much the same no matter the size of the tiles.

Reply to
dadiOH

Big tiles on floor bad news, grout joints help provide traction.

if you go large on floor use rough surfacer tiles

Reply to
bob haller

I had my bathroom completely done over last year - we did not do the tile work. The floor tiles match the wall tiles in color....but the floor tiles are 12 x 12; the wall tiles are 8 x 11 in. The outside trim is about 2 in. by 8 in. long. The tile starts on the outside edge of the tub and by the time it reaches the corner - the last piece is about 4 in. wide....then the tile starts in the center back and works outward so that the pieces meeting at the corner are all the same size .... hope that makes sense. The large tiles look good.

Reply to
Dorothy

We did ours in a porcelain 12x18 tile. What the others said about the wall is right. It has to be flat but other than that it is no problem.

I used "flex" thin set. It is a lot stickier because of the acrylic additive and the tiles tend to stay where you put them better than regular thin set. It does cost more but you will not really be buying that much. They have it at HD/Lowes although you usually get a better selection and grade of tile at a real tile store.

Reply to
gfretwell

I would have to suggest that it can be done. I used solid surface material in my shower which means my large walk-in shower only has thee tiles (panels.) It sure makes cleaning easier. Not much in the line of grout lines to clean.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Small tiles (2x2 or smaller) are usually used on shower "floors" to conform to the slope of the mud bed to the drain. However, there's no reason you can't use larger tiles on the flat walls. I used 6" tiles on our shower walls, but have seen 12" tiles on many shower walls.

I measured up to the "second" row of tiles from the floor, then used a straight edge (a 2x6 in my case) to use as a level reference. Then I worked my way up the wall from the straight edge, using plastic spacers to ensure proper spacing and prevent the tiles from sliding down before the mortar set. The next day I removed the straight edges and cut the bottom row of tiles as needed to fit between the floor and the second row of tiles.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

fundagurgoze had written this in response to

: the reason why most poeple use small tiles in the shower is because of the anti-slippery nature of them. with thebgrout lines, even the polished tiles are anti-slippery.

good luck.

Kathy wrote:

------------------------------------- Funda G

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 361996 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
fundagurgoze

You walk on the walls in your shower? That is what the OP was asking about.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

We used 13" tile in ours..no problems. At ~5 ft above floor, we used a row of 4" square tumbled travertine tile all the way around. Above that went a row of the 13" tile but they were cut diagonally ("corners" cut off at mid point, leaving a tile which was 13" measured DIAGONALLY) yielding a diamond shape when placed "point"s up n down. The "trimmed corners also being used in this same row (picture a bunch of XXXXXXXXX). Above that was another row of travertine, and finally, more regular 13" to (and Including) the ceiling. Floor was the 4" also.

It made for a nice design feature w/o buying a lot of expensive tile trim strips

Reply to
Rudy

"Kathy" scribblednews:CNadnSznHafrwtvXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Small tiles on the floor, to make the low/high spots less noticible, and large tiles on the wall.

The larger the tiles, the more spacious it looks.

And don't worrry about being even or anything, that's the job of the hardiboard installer and they should all be plumb and even surface anyway.

Plus there is a little give when you butter the backside of the tile; as it floats on a thin bed of set.

You butter up and slap up a line of tile, then use a large long straightedge to press firmly, but lightly on all the tiles at once and that will even them all out in that row. Same for the next row, and if you work quickly you can also do that on a slant across all the tiles.

Oh, also, make sure you stir in some smooth waterproof stuff into the mortar mix. I bought all my stuff at FloorDecor.

HTH

Bill

Reply to
bill