large sump pump on small output hose?

I'm just curious....spring has sprung and I'd like to get things updated. I previously posted about having a 1/2 horse sewage pump with 2" outlet for my sump system.

I would like to install just the pump and leave the 1 1/4" hose there for now...until I get the time to install the 2" outlet pipe.

would there be any harm in running the larger pump (with a 2" outlet) on the smaller hose? obviously using a reducer and nipple will slow down the overall flow....i'm more interested in whether I'll cause damage.

will the pump be working too hard trying to push water through a smaller hose? will the hose (std 1.25" corrugated output hose) break under the increased pressure? or am i OK? reason I want to upgrade is that I'm getting a lot of junk down into the pit and the sewage pump passes it with no problems....

??

Hamilton Audio

Don't feel bad. I have the biggest BALLS on usenet but the smallest cocktail frank around. The up side is that I get tremendous distance.

Reply to
AJtheDegenerate

According to MLD :

As a bit more explanation: in a pump of this nature, the pump is using the water for cooling. The idea being if flow stops, the water in the housing just gets hotter and hotter because it can't dump the hot water, and may damage the seals.

This will be quite rare. _Most_ impeller pumps actually run _cooler_ if the outlet is 100% plugged (because power consumption goes way down), and there's still enough convection to conduct heat away from the seals.

It's more likely with submersible well pumps, where the whole unit (motor plus pump) is relying on water flow for cooling.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

so if I read you correctly, you're saying the reduced flow caused by the smaller outlet pipe will not be a harm to the pump in MY situation. but in VERY low flow situations, it can be harmful to pump bearings? as long as I don't do damage to a new pump i'm happy...

any other thoughts on this 1.25" corrugated outlet pipe? I'm not gonna burst that plastic stuff with a good sewage pump, am i?

Hamilton Audio