Reply to
C & M

The packages are so designed...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

That would be weasel, I think?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In article , snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net says... :) C & M wrote: :) > :) > Duane is right about the D-Con but you need to keep it inaccessable to :) > neighborhood cats, dogs and kids. ... :) :) The packages are so designed... :) I would hardly call a d-con package designed to keep out non target animals. You should be able to find a bait station at lowes/home depot type store for bait placement.

Reply to
Lar

There is a chaining fence behind the shed in the backyard that is a porthole for large mouse. I can identify that the rats are coming from there because the grasses are dying from mouse foot stomps and shades. What is the best deterrent to keep the mouse out?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

Is it a rat or a mouse?

Someone recently told me to pour diesel fuel in the hole, because I have rats in my barn, and can not use poison around livestock, and have cats too. I have not tried it yet, but plan to.

Of course you could always catch it, put a modular plug on it's tail and use it for a computer mouse :)

Reply to
maradcliff

In article , snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com says... :) Someone recently told me to pour diesel fuel in the hole, because I :) have rats in my barn, and can not use poison around livestock, and :) have cats too. I have not tried it yet, but plan to. :) :) Just curious as to why you would pass a proven legal means of rodent control to go way of illegal usage of diesel. Snap traps would be another way of population reduction for you.

Reply to
Lar

You call it what you want...never had anything else take it in 30+ years...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

:) Lar wrote: :) > :) > In article , snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net :) > says... :) > :) C & M wrote: :) > :) >

:) > :) > Duane is right about the D-Con but you need to keep it inaccessable to :) > :) > neighborhood cats, dogs and kids. ... :) > :) :) > :) The packages are so designed... :) > :) :) > I would hardly call a d-con package designed to keep out non target :) > animals. You should be able to find a bait station at lowes/home depot :) > type store for bait placement. :) :) You call it what you want...never had anything else take it in 30+ :) years...

how would you have any idea what may have fed on the bait then flew/crawled off and died. :)

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!

Lar

I use the snap traps outdoors, but the rodents dig under the wall from the inside. Snaptraps dont work when there are horses running around inside. I am not going to dump a 55 gallon barrel of diesel, just a quart or so.

Reply to
maradcliff

No dogs nor cats or other animals of note have been missing, primarily.

One assume some common sense where one places it/them...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Oh, so a "little bit" of environmental pollution / damage is OK?

Reply to
Dan C

In article , snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com says... :) On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:00:34 -0500, Lar :) wrote: :) :) >In article , :) > snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com says... :) >:) Someone recently told me to pour diesel fuel in the hole, because I :) >:) have rats in my barn, and can not use poison around livestock, and :) >:) have cats too. I have not tried it yet, but plan to. :) >:) :) >:) :) >Just curious as to why you would pass a proven legal means of rodent :) >control to go way of illegal usage of diesel. Snap traps would be :) >another way of population reduction for you. :) :) I use the snap traps outdoors, but the rodents dig under the wall from :) the inside. Snaptraps dont work when there are horses running around :) inside. I am not going to dump a 55 gallon barrel of diesel, just a :) quart or so. :)

Though there would be additional cost using a pro, there would be ways to treat the pests near the animals. You might try to hunt down some bait stations that could be adapted for snap trap usage so that using them around the livestock could be an option.

Reply to
Lar

Have at it...this is a farm, not a domestic residence. I've never seen any evidence that any pet is the least interested nor has ever bothered a container and no indication whatsoever that any "good guys" are, either. As noted, I do use a modicum of common sense as to where they are placed (as I would anyone using one would although I know that seems to be a pretty rare commodity these days :( ).

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

When I decide it is time to thin out the rodent population around my house I use a live trap. Then you have the opportunity to see what you are killing and let the "good guys" go.

Reply to
gfretwell

You wont want to pay their dental bills either :)

Reply to
anoldfart2

It could be both. There are two cats that visit the rear of the shed everyday that are not ours and I have placed a small mouse trap in the area and caught nothing. The cats could be get hurt from the trap.

The rat or mouse moves so fast to see what it is and now has dug up some soil. Some mice are showing up in our bed room under the ground, we've caught a few mice. This is a house with a concrete foundation slap. Don't know how they could chew thru concrete.

Thanks to everyone for ideas.

Reply to
Sam Nickaby