Large Garden Window over Small Bathroom Window

Page 1 of 2
Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.
What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?
http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg
in message Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.
What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?
http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg
PS - Then I could put a back on it and seal it well against the window frame, like this...
http://i68.tinypic.com/1076xq9.jpg
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 8:21:42 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
in message

rical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought u p a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

a large garden window outside?

ame, like this...

It seems like an interesting idea but I would imagine that you might have w arranty issues due to a non-standard installation. Not that that's a show-stopper as long as you accept that upfront.
replying to DerbyDad03, KathrynRobertson wrote: Interesting post!
wrote in message

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/large-garden-window-over-small-b athroom-window-896632-.htm
Always nice to support commercial sites who copy original material without paying royalties.

Who cares?
--
Local police hunting the "knitting needle nutter", who has stabbed six people in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 17:12:23 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

I had to look at the picture to see what you meant. I've never in my life ever seen such a construct, not imagined such a thing.
I cannot see any 'pro'. 'Con's:
- More glass to break, clean, lose heat. - Glass angled to break due to falling objects. (Hail, branches.) - In the way of ladder when cleaning gutter, painting, etc. - In the way if you need to dig close to house. (Bathroom drain.) - In the way cutting grass, raking leaves, etc. - Damage to house during install. (Ref: in-wall vent pipe & wires.) - Damage to house if it works loose. - Looks ugly from outside. - Dangerous manouver in slippery tub for view better than current.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

They're pretty common in my neighborhood. When I had my house re-windowed we considered one for the kitchen window (wife), but it cost twice as much than the other windows, so she decided against it. I think they look fine, and if they're good quality and properly installed the only con is thermal transfer. They are called "garden" windows because they are excellent for growing plants - even in the winter.

What happens about not being able to see into the bathroom?
--
The Royal Family have been declared bankrupt after receiving Richard III's parking fine.

On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:

We have one in the kitchen, my wife has several plants and we also grow some herbs in it. No gutters or anything to paint in the area, I am 6'5" and can almost walk under it. No different to install vs a standard window, and my neighbour actually likes it, seeing our plants in the window, when she looks out hers.
--
Froz....

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 10:31:55 PM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:

Your install may have been no different vs. a standard window, but that wouldn't be the case in Snuffy's situation. He is planning on using a garden window that is bigger than the existing window. i.e. it will mounted (somehow) to the exterior wall, not mounted in the window's RO.
On 2016-07-14 7:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You are right, I missed the over an existing window part, ours was made to fit the existing RO.
--
Froz....

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:02:04 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The first question that comes to mind is what is the purpose of this new garden window going to be? I can see putting one in that's the same size as the existing window, but I don't see the added benefit of having one hung on the outside that's larger. You can't easily get to the area to the left and right, it's going to be harder to clean the windows. I'd go with either one that fits or one that fits an enlarged opening.
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 1:07:46 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

ummm...a garden, perhaps?

I'm not seeing the connection between the window's purpose and the cleanabililty of the area to the left and right.
I'm not saying you're not justified in saying that, just that cleaning that area is going to be hard regardless of the purpose.
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 1:34:36 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, maybe. But somebody might want one for more light. One person's idea of a garden is 3 potted plants, in which case, do you need a bit window? Another person might think they are going to grow vegetables there. IDK.

My point was that with a larger window hung on outside, it's going to be harder to clean the side areas than if the window is a normal type, with the opening the size of the garden window. And that gets back to what you're going to do with it, how big does it really need to be for that, and what would you put into those side areas where you can't see it from inside?
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 1:49:33 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

re: "and what would you put into those side areas where you can't see it from inside"
Things that you want to see (or want others to see) from the outside?
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 1:54:05 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Which could be fine, if that's the purpose of this expansion. But if it's not, or the window is on a side where no one sees it, which wouldn't be unusual for a bath window, then those side areas aren't going to serve that purpose. Just figure out what it's supposed to do, that's all I'm suggesting. And if the bath doesn't have a fan, factor in how it's going to open to get needed airflow too.
On 2016-07-14 2:09 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I believe to top of most of these windows opens, I know mine does. Mine has a crank on it, couple turns and the heat flies right out of it.
--
Froz....

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 2:55:25 PM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:

In an earlier post you noted that you "missed the over an existing window part". I guess when you also missed the part of the images that show how Snuffy's proposed windows open.
On 2016-07-14 3:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I knew the term, have the window, so did not examine the picture thoroughly for details.
--
Froz....