Large gap between wall and countertop

Hi there,
I didn't know where to post, so I posted here. I recently removed some old sealant caulking from between my counter tops and my kitchen wall due to nasty yellowing and cracks (The previous home owners were brutal...)
After I removed the sealing, there is now a good half inch gap. It's as if they used some of rubber seal below the caulking. Is there a name for this? I can't use normal sealant yet because the gap is too big.
Any ideas what to use?
There's a kind of foam rope product available that'll fill the excess gap. Go to your local harware store, and ask there. Different radii for different gaps. Tom
tom wrote:

If you ultimately want to use caulk, you can just use a piece of foam weatherstrip of the right width to close the gap so you can put caulk on top. However, I don't think a half inch of caulk is gonna look very good. You may want to consider some kind of trim molding.