Large basement rec room, want warm tile. Danfoss LX cable?

The below grade basement on my 1970s rancher is a great recreation room, and now we are planning to replace the indoor/outdoor carpet over the concrete floor with something warmer. I'd really like to go with radiant heating & tile instead of the electric baseboard heaters we have now.

Does anyone have any experience with the Danfoss LX cable installation? This stuff seems expensive for a 500 sq foot area, but I really like the idea of one small cable lying in the thinset. I'm thinking about converting the three 240V 15A baseboard heaters into under tile heat. I'm comfortable laying the tile, and I would bring in an electrician to hook up the system.

From what I can tell, this could cost quite a bit, but since I plan to live here another 20+ years, I might just go for it. I thought about hydronic, but the ceiling height is only 7' 5" and I want to avoid loosing height.

Any advice?

Reply to
Paulaner

First add some windows, if you can, ingress egress allows your nice rom to be caled a bedroom at home resale time.

If yiur willing to replace the floor lowering it enough to allow radiant heat might be possible. Whats your primary heat source? gas, oil? electric tends to be the most costly

hopefully you have a dry basement, thats the first thing to assure

Reply to
hallerb

gas heat, not many vents in the basement - I can fix that, but prefer radiant. we have a stairwell exit to outside, and ill add the egress over in the guest room sometime. basement is dry. french drain works great - so far. sump pump is located in the basement laundry room, and I don't plan any radiant in there.

Reply to
Paulaner