Landsaping beams - the pr

M > Hi, Does anyone know the proper name for the landscaping wood beam M > (4 x 4, maybe 4 x 5) that people use in landscaping projects? I see M > them all over the place, in people's yards, but HD only has the green M > pressure treated ones. M > M > The ones I see already installed seem to be treated with a black/brown M > sealant (is it tar?) of some kind.

Perhaps railroad ties? It's the support lumber under the metal rails. The black-brown stuff is creosote - nasty stuff to get off hands, clothing; don't even think about flooring!! If you need to cut use a tree branch trim saw: one that has a very deep-toothed blade. I think one can use short sections of rebar through the ties for stability. Drill holes.

  • Why are you IN a movie, but you're ON TV?
Reply to
barry martin

You don't want railroad ties. They will not hold up. My 6x6 treated lumber retaining walls still look brand new but you need to know what you are doing regarding drainage, gravel, anchors, etc. I; 'm sure there are books about it. If you live in Raleigh NC I will be replacing mine with fake stone walls. Will probably be giving tons of them away.

Reply to
Art