lamp socket mounting size

Hi Ben!
B > I have an antique looking floor lamp. It had a standard looking lamp B > socket (took regular bulbs) with a turning switch. The socket would B > screw down onto the lamp and hold the torch-shade thing in place. B > B > However, the socket was old and corroded and it sparked when turned. B > B > So I thought I would replace it. I bought a new socket. Only it B > doesn't fit! B > B > That is, the bottom of the socket does not screw onto the lamp. All B > hardware stores I've been to just have one-size of socket.
I seem to recall a lamp socket that had a set screw at the bottom to hold it in place.
Do you still have the original socket? Any possibility the sparking was because the cardboard insulating tube disintergrated and all you need to do is replace the tube?
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Yo' House is so nasty you wipe your feet before going out
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971