lamp post bulbs keep blow

M > Mutliple bulbs have blown (sometime literally) in my outside lamp post. I M > think it coresponds to electrical storms, but maybe not. Why would this M > occur? No other circuits in the house seem to be effected....

Is there anything "special" about the circuit powering this lamp post? Meaning is the circuit dedicated to outside wiring, tapped from a 220 circuit....? Something unique to this site.

Is the lamp head or socket portion loose? Perhaps it wiggles around due to winds during a storm, causing the bulb filaments to be shocked and eventually break.

  • She has lost eleven straight IQ competitions to various pet rocks.
Reply to
barry martin

We have this problem with one particular make of lamp post head in my subdivision. The lamp head with the problem has a decorative brass finial (post) screwed into a threaded hole at the top. During a heavy rain at night, water manages to seep under the brass finial, works its way down the threads and eventually drips onto the top of the hot light bulb. The bulb cracks or shatters. Solution is to unscrew the finial and add a bed of window caulking around it's base before replacing it. If in doubt, remove the head; take it into a shower and check for leaks.

Reply to
Bubba