Lamp far from socket plug

Page 1 of 2

I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the carpet either). Is there a way to somehow plug in a lamp by remote wiring?

MIT is working on it right now. If you have enough patience, it may be available during your lifetime

I think that Intel recently announced some breakthrough with wireless electricity.

folks with the tin foil hats for emf protection, they're done too

I figure that I'll go into the business of selling cancer treatments. With all of that energy floating around the room, it's bound to have some bad side effects.

Even if not, we can exploit the notion

Senin wrote:

Sure, the boys at my alma mater can show you how to do it:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061115-8229.htm
If you can't wait, then get a battery powered lamp. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

or, if that link doesn't work, try:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4220889.html

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

No
You could consider a lamp that has a chain you mount to the ceiling.
Senin wrote:

Think candles.
On Wed 03 Sep 2008 01:45:14p, Senin told us...

No. There is no such thing as "remote wiring", at least not for standard house current. Why would you think so?
If you have a basement or crawl space under your living room, your best and safest solutiion is to install a floor socket that is specifically made for this type of situation.
One of the homes we built was on concrete slab. Since installing these after the fact would not have been easy, we pre-planned several locations where floor outlets were installed. We were never sorry we did it.
--
Wayne Boatwright

What's under the floor? If you have a basement with an open ceiling under there, just drill a small hole (it won't show in the carpet), cut off the plug end of the cord and then thread the lamp cord down through the hole. In the basement install a new plug on the end of the cord and plug it into an outlet - preferably one with GFCI protection.
There's no easy or inexpensive way to transmit power wirelessly and battery-operated lamps would be a nuisance since you would likely have to recharge their batteries every day if you wanted a lamp with enough light output to light up the table/chair area.
TKM
TKM wrote:

company will laugh, since running zip cord through structure like that is not up to code. IOW, not a good idea. If you are putting a hole in the floor anyway, just cut a hole for a regular code-rated floor outlet, properly wired up in basement ceiling. Or to stay with the simple hole idea, use a surface-mount floor box. (Basically looks like a fancy outdoor-rated surface box.) It'll be a bit of a toe-stubber under the table, but could easily be reversed after OP or next owner changes the layout. Plug the hole in the floor with a dowel, and sew the slit in the carpet shut.
A previous poster had it right- traditional way to handle this would be a retro hanging lamp, with decorative hooks in ceiling trailing the cord over to a wall outlet, and an inline switch at a reachable height if no switched outlet was available. Wind the cord through the biggest gaudiest chain you can find, and make it an in-your-face decor statement. Hell, they used to hang chandeliers on hemp ropes, from pulleys. Or maybe surface-mount a yuppie track light on the ceiling, and wiremold the power up to it. -- aem sends...

Yes, you need a Tesla adapter.
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:45:14 -0700 (PDT), Senin wrote:

I know some of the people here will scream, but if is not a heavy traffic area, get a fish tape and run this under your carpet. I have done it and it works fine: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId "73178
On 9/4/2008 8:20 AM Kuskokwim spake thus:

I'm not going to scream, only say "don't do it".
I have no doubt that this has worked fine for you, but think about it: do you *really* want to put a run of cable made for speakers--*speakers*--under your carpet and run 120 volt power through it?
I wouldn't.
At the very least, if there was a fire, god forbid, on account of this cable, and the fire inspector discovered it as the ignition source, I think your insurance company wouldn't be very happy about that.

Ok, thanks for the responses. Looks like I learned one thing out of this. There is no way to do this. Saves me time and effort looking through the internet.
By the way, concrete is under the floor.

Ok, thanks for the responses. Looks like I learned one thing out of this. There is no way to do this. Saves me time and effort looking through the internet.
By the way, concrete is under the floor.
--
of course there\'s a way. you can have a trench put in your concrete slab and
a floor socket installed. you then have to fix the concrete. you may not

Google "flat extension cord"
It's a wire running over your carpet, but if you really need a lamp...

It'd be better to leave the wires exposed (and put then on the ceiling if you can). Then you can actually see damage and replace wire when necessary.

Mark Lloyd