Laminated Windows

Hello,
We are having windows replaced in our house, and we have the following dilemma: Should we, or should we not install laminated windows on the first floor. The windows that we are considering are Gorell Armor Glass (http://www.gorell.com/pages/armor_glass_plus.htm ). The major reason for considering these windows is enhanced security.
On the other hand, these windows will present a problem in the case of a fire emergency, if the firefighters will need to break the windows. Also, if, for whatever reason we ourselves might need to enter the house through a window, we will not be able to..
The price difference is not critical. What do you recommend?
Thank you very much, Elana
I would think any window replacement work would be thermal pane. Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to use tempered glass units in thermal pane. You can have just the outside tempered and tinted differently than the inside.
If the fire man wants in, laminated glass may slow him up, but it won't stop him.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Thanks for your reply. Is tempered glass better for security than laminated glass? What other benefits are there to tempered glass compared to laminated glass?
Thanks, Elana

I have not had any windows break at all in the past 15 years. But when the teen across the street started practicing his golf, I became concerned about breakage. I say get the laminated windows if you plan on living there a long time. I wonder if this laminated glass has plastic inside it? Will it yellow over time? Does it have a 15-year guarantee? What are the insulation properties? Have you considered triple-pane windows? Better insulation will pay for itself in energy savings over time.
Keep an extra house key at work or with a trusted neighbor. Your local fire department will gladly give your home an inspection. And your police will give you some security tips.

Hi,
Yes, the laminated glass has plastic inside. I haven't thought about the possibility of it turning yellow... That's a great point. How would I know though? I don't expect the sales rep to admit it. I will definitely find out if discoloration is covered by the warranty, though...
Triple-pane is an overkill for our area (even sales reps admit it)... Insulation, etc properties are comparable to other windows. The manufacturer offers life-time warranty...
Thanks, Elana
Thanks.