Laminate vs. Carpet

Page 2 of 2

HeyBub wrote:

water-tight.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

You may be right. I haven't tried, but as hard as those things are to click together, I wouldn't be surprised if they WERE at least water-resistant.
Whatever, my subfloor is eight inches of concrete.

Yup. Tile in the kitchen, bathrooms, in front of fireplaces, and all entryways with real hardwood used everywhere else. I use a few small, washable rugs in the bathrooms but that's it. Large carpets are just disgusting. You can never really clean them unless you send them out to be washed (real wool Persians, etc.). That "steemer" service is a joke. It just squirts toxic chemicals into the carpet and the padding and gets out surface stains. Wall-to-wall which is permanently installed and therefore not cleanable is a health hazard.
I agree your brother on wood in the kitchen( Laminate or 'real wood"). I put down laminate in my kitchen and breakfast area and it was really pretty, ... until the dishwasher door seal leaked one night! That pretty floor curled up very nicely and was ruined, not three months after installation. The only consolation was the ease in which it came up later! Put ceramic tile down and have never looked back!!
Bill

Carpets are much more resistant to scratches (think of heavy hard objects, metal, etc). Carpets are much nicer to lay on. And they're not to hard to change out.

Depends. If you lay on the floor, carpet. If you want to change it often, carpet.

One thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread is Bamboo. I used it in my halls, dining room, and kitchen in my last house and loved it. I have it in my great room in this house and it's miserable stuff (this stuff scratches like crazy). It's really cheap (cheaper than vinyl, which is why I put it in my last house) and looks nice. If it gets badly scratched simply replace it. Of course that's the idea with carpet, too. ;-)