laminate plywood or wood -- sources?

this is for my computer workstation project.

what's a good source to get cherry or tiger mahogany laminate plywood?

checked out Home depot's website, they don't seem to carry the ones at higher thickness, at least 1.25".

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Hard to find anything thicker than 3/4". That is plenty thick for a desk but if you want it to appear thicker, put a solid cherry strip on the edge. Adds a lot of rigidity and covers up the plywood edge.

Forget HD for that type of material. You need a hardwood dealer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Here's where I go:

High quality; no voids; bookmatched grain. But I can drive there. I know that they ship a lot of stock, but you might look for someplace close to you.

I don't know why you'd want 1 1/4". As Ed Pawlowski said, if you want it to look thicker than 3/4 you can use trim or double it up. I also don't know what tiger mahogany is. I'm guessing that you mean what I know as ribbon stripe. In any case, Boulter has "Honduran" and ribbon stripe.

Reply to
Mayayana

In baltimore there are one or two lumberyards that carry less asked for wood

I say one or two because I ordered it at one, but they had me pick it up a couple days later at another one. Didn't have the same name. Maybe one was the wholesaler to the second.

IOW, ask at a local lumberyard.

Reply to
micky

Take a look at

No name

I suppose I can make to with 1". They seem to have it.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

| I suppose I can make to with 1". They seem to have it. |

Home Depot does? Home Depot is not the place to look for hardwood plywood with good grain. A lot of it isn't even flat. And you're thinking of buying it sight-unseen? That's *really* not a good idea.

The one thing you can be sure of is that HD will be trying to keep the cost down -- for you and for them -- while providing something their average customer will think is good enough. With cherry that will probably mean you'll get cherry plywood with sapwood veneers, resulting in the kind of garish white-and-tan stripe look of cheap cherry cabinet doors. Remember when HD had Mills Pride maple cabinets? Mills Pride was their own front company. I had to be careful picking doors and draw faces. I saw both burnt or rotted black streaks and green streaks in some of them, as well as small knotholes. Most people accept that, figuring that maple is maple and not having an eye for good grain. That's a big part of how HD can make their cabinets cheap. The rest of it is just particle board, so if they can make the actual wood parts out of junk stock they can save big.

The back is also an issue. Will any backs show? If so, does the HD plywood have good backs? The plywood I buy is rated A2. The front is bookmatched. The back is almost as good. Sometimes the grain just isn't very interesting on the back. Sometimes it's hard to tell which is the good side. If you're going to have it shipped then why not get good product?

Another option, if you're not so picky about grain, would be to go to a local lumber yard and look through their birch ply. It's typically a bland mix of white and darker veneers, meant to be painted. But sometimes you can find very beautiful and consistent "red birch" veneers covering a whole sheet, with flares of pink and green. I once heard that means the tree was dying, but it makes for beautiful grain.

Reply to
Mayayana