laminate on stairs/killing the dogs

Over the past 6 weeks I've gradually removed all the carpets in the house and replaced them with laminate flooring. I'm down to just the kitchen and dining room, and then all I will have left are the stairs from the main floor to the second floor.

Having lived with laminate for a few weeks what is evident is that the (little) dogs we have are not very comfortable. The product is quite slippery for them and their toenails and they have a tough time getting up and down from furniture, the bed, etc.

What I'm worried about is the stairs. I can't see where they would be able to get up or down at all. Some of the options I've considered:

- carpet the stairs - to me this would seem odd because it would be the only carpet remaining on the top 2 floors of the house

- laminate the stairs and install a "runner" down the middle 12 inches of the stairs

- laminate the stairs and find a "safety tread" to install on the bullnose or the step of each stair

Any ideas or comments that would help me out on this one?

Lorne

Reply to
Lorne

Our Lhaso Apso had no problem. Give the dog a few days and if problems persist, consider a runner or safety treads. Maybe a closer trim of the nails would help so the pad hits the floor and not the nails that would tend to slip more easily.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Consider going to bed with a human for a change. Generally, humans don't have trouble getting in/out of bed unless they're over 80.

Reply to
Cbe

Here's just what the doctor ordered:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hi Lorne

Which one is more important? The Laminate or your dogs! For us it is the dogs and I would do whatever it takes to make her comfortable. She is not comfortable on slippery floors, even runners in the rooms would help them! why not carpet the steps even if it is only for the dogs which I gather you love or you would not have asked.

Lee

Lorne wrote:

Reply to
Lee Bray

"Lee Bray" wrote

While you're at it, why not buy him a cedar-filled booster seat so he can eat at the dinner table with you......

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Think cat.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Consider either full stair carpeting, or a runner, english style, with stair rods and brackets to hold the runner against the bases of the step risers. I would use something wider than 12 inches, perhaps 18 inches, so humans could use it too, and it would look more balanced, covering 2/3 of the width of the stairs. Agree with person noting that your dog's toenails should be kept trimmed so most of the weight is on their pads, for better grip. On our wood stairs we have stick-down carpet rectangles that are glued to the wood. The dog gets good grip, but it looks like hell. They also sell rubber tread covers, but they look kinda institutional, but help animals get a grip, as it were.

Reply to
Roger

I agree with getting the 18" runner. And in the long run it's probably safer for the humans in the house too. My next suggestion is NOT to get carpet that is light in color. Maybe an oriental style would work for you. I say this because stairs are a high traffic area and you don't want to have to be shampooing it all the time.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

How long are their toenails ? The pads on their feet should be ok on the laminate but I can see where they would problems if their toenails are to long. That and you will hear click click click while they are walking.

Randy

RSMEINER