Laminate install question

I ordered my laminate the other day from fastfloors.com, and I'm confused about something. I ripped off all my old base trim and quarter round. I'm putting on new 5" tall pine trim and 1/2" shoe molding. My question is, they tell you to install the laminate 5/8" away from the wall (or is it 5/8" away from the base trim?), so this would still leave a 1/8" gap between the floor and shoe mold. How is this whole thing supposed to be laid out?
You want the laminate to be 5/8" away from anything it can push against. So, for instance, if your drywall did not quite reach the floor, it would be 5/8" away from the sole plate of the wall (2x4 which lies on the subfloor). Since you are installing new base molding and base shoe, make it 5/8" away from the drywall, and set the base molding high enough so the flooring can pass under it. Your shoe molding will easily cover the joint.
This space they require is for expansion due to moisture level changes.

That is a huge allowance for laminate. Most major manufacturers recommend 1/4" . By chance, is this a knock off brand?
No, it's Mannington.

I was wrong, I just looked at the instructions again and it says 5/16"

Hi, I have a question about laminate installation around edges.
Will there be any problem if i leave the gap > 1/4" as recommended? Will the floor MOVE a lot? I'm a bit lazy to pull out the base board and I know that the gap from board to end of the wall is at least 1/2". And if I put a spacer between baseboard and laminate then it would add another 1/4".
Thanks in advance for any comment..
oh yeah, the floor i got is called BHK. Don't know if it's good or bad. I've searched the group for info on it and half of the results are from the company rep claiming it's good.

I wouldn't pull the baseboard, then you have to deal with height adjustment of base, if/when meets an adjoining room.

Heh, caught me reading the NG.
Just so we're on the same page, if it were me, I would put spacer 1/4" spacer between baseboard. Fit to spacer, then install shoe molding. If you're attempting to slid flooring under baseboard, you're going to have one heck of a time once you get to opposite side of room.

Depends who you ask, if shoe is the same as quarter round. Basically yes, if you buy shoe that is actually 1/4 of a diameter, shoe comes in different profiles though. Your finishing nail should be fine, though some say to use longer to try to hit soul plate. Remember you're just nailing a molding, you're not doing any structural building, so don't over do it. Don't try to attach the shoe to the flooring.
Good luck