Laminate floors that snap together and aren't nailed or glued down

I see that Costco is selling Harmonics laminate floors that aren't nailed or glued down. They basically snap together and just sit there. You leave a gap at each wall to allow for expansion, with a baseboard covering the gap.
Has anyone used this?
How do you handle stairs with this stuff?
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:

It works just fine, but you don't do stairs with it.
- Rodger
--

READ CAREFULLY. By reading the above message and/or this disclaimer, you
agree to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any

Just a guess, but I bet the manufacturers would know. Contact them.
SMS ???. ? wrote:

No laminate (pergo style) products are glued or nailed down. They are all considered "floating" floors.
wrote in

I did some floors with the HD version and it came out awesome. Floor prep for levelness will determine what it looks like when done. I had a hell of a floor prep job on concrete that had a lot of uneven places. The floor leveler can run $35 a bag if I recall.
Check the installation instructions. Depending on what you are puting it over says if you want to put down a plastic moisture barrier ASIDE from the padding.
The stuff I used had aluminum oxide as part of it's surface coating. Excellent for wear. It also means you MUST use carbide tipped blades. Had a regular steel blade at first and it lasted about 10 cuts then just blue smoked and burnt.
Red Green wrote:

Yeah, done that - t kind of burns through it after that! It's also because of the glue/epoxy that it's made with - very strong stuff.
- Rodger
--

READ CAREFULLY. By reading the above message and/or this disclaimer, you
agree to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any

I haven't used that exact brand, but I think they are all mostly similar. I'm not real impressed with laminate. It's a good product for homeowners since it is simple to install. Take the warranty sheet and put it in the recycling bin. That's about what it is worth. I dealt with some warranty issues before--the factory rep came out and stretched a string across the floor--more than 1/8" out of flat in 10 feet and the warranty is void. He also slipped a putty knife under the base trim, and if there was one spot he couldn't slip the knife, guess what, warranty voided. Any seam within 12" of another--warranty void.Pretty high standards IMO. No warranty for scratching either. It does scratch fairly easily. You must religiously leave an expansion gap next to the wall or it will buckle. It also must not ever be used where it will potentially get wet. I will also second the idea of using an additional moisture barrier. It looks like fake wood. No real good way to deal with stairs--take a walk through the laminate department at HD and the parts you see are what you will have to deal with. But if none of that bothers you, go for it.