Laminate flooring without pad?

I picked up a rooms-worth of laminate flooring for $15. But the pad for it comes in rolls just too short, so It'll cost me $50 just for the pad.
It's a junk room with almost no traffic. Aside from the noise when you walk on it, are there any reasons I shouldn't install laminate directly over the vapor barrier without a pad?
Thanks, mike

What kind of floor? If over concrete at grade or below, the vapor barrier may get worn through in spots. "On an above grade wood floor, I'd not worry about it.
mike wrote:

Without a pad, the floor will sound and feel marginally different, less substantial, but certainly usable.
There exists some thin foam material used for packaging that is cheaper. For example, here's 1000 sq ft for $24, about 2.5 cents/sq ft (in 6" widths - you'll need a lot of tape).
http://www.uline.com/BL_855/Uline-Foam-Rolls
HeyBub wrote:

I thought about visiting a furniture store and see if they have any of the stuff they wrap around furniture for shipment.
On 9/7/2010 7:08 AM, HeyBub wrote:

and damaged rolls of the thin blue foam stuff. dirt cheap.
--
aem sends...