Laminate flooring- silicone joints to water proof? Bad idea?

I will be installing laminate flooring (the type that click one into the other). I wanted to silicone the seams just by the front hallway entrance. Is that not recommended?
lbbss wrote:

FWIW, the maker of the ones I used recommended a glue that seemed a lot like Elmer's for areas that might get wet (like bathrooms and kitchens).
I frankly think silicone might be a mess.

Most flooring systems I have seen and read the direction say to install a membrane. What do the directions from the manufacture say.
:I will be installing laminate flooring (the type that click one into : the other). I wanted to silicone the seams just by the front hallway : entrance. Is that not recommended? : They make a special combo glue/caulk stuff for laminate floors; it's available in most home centers & hardware stores. Just ordered laminate flooring; they recommended the caulk for 5 ft. square area min at all doors to outside.
Silicone would do it too, I'm sure, long's it's real silicone and not a mix. GE Silicone II has never let me down.
HTH,
Pop
The click flooring I put down a couple of years ago made it a warranty requirement to glue the joins in high traffic and water prone areas using their special purpose glue. This has silicone in the mix to ensure a watertight seal of the joints. Check the glues in the laminate flooring section.
Follow the manufacturers instructions. Mannington click flooring is pretreated at edges to be water resistant and they claim it is better than glued floors because it is not dependent on workmanship of installer. They recommend silicone around edges of kitchen floors under moldings only in case there is a big spill that gets under the molding the silicone protects the cut edge of the laminate.

you can probably get away with using silicone if it is just at the front door area, however if this a basement installation you shouldn't use these laminate flooring against the slab without some major waterproofing material (remember - these flooring systems are made to float so they need to be held away from perimeter walls). it is not recomended to use this flooring on slab-on-grade floor because of the moisture problems.
: you can probably get away with using silicone if it is just at the : front door area, however if this a basement installation you : shouldn't use these laminate flooring against the slab without some : major waterproofing material (remember - these flooring systems are : made to float so they need to be held away from perimeter walls). it : is not recomended to use this flooring on slab-on-grade floor because : of the moisture problems. : Actually, most of the better brands can be used even below grade as long as the preparation and installation instructions are followed. Lots of online information; Google for laminate flooring for more info. Add +float or whatever method you want to use.
Pop