Laminate flooring in kitchen?

My wife and I are checking into installing laminate flooring in our kitchen. A number of questions:

1) Is it a good idea to put in laminate in a kitchen?

2) glue or click together?

3) The brand we were looking into is Kaindl - anyone ever used this product?

4) Any good laminate flooring websites out there that I could look at?

5) Any other tips / suggestions / advice / comments?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

Laminate...is that the fake looking wood stuff?

I have some in my entry (it's supposed to pass for real tongue & groove wood flooring) and I can see where a puddle of water sat...that's a small bubble.

My personal opinion is to use something else...ceramic tiles or even the heavy duty linoleum squares.

Good luck.

Lynn

Reply to
LFR

Sure, it is very durable, unaffected by most anything you would ever spill on it. You may also want to consider engineered wood. That is the prefinished multi-ply stuff that is very durable.

I've only used glue, but I've not heard anything bad about the click stuff.

No experience with it.

Buy knee pads. You need a saw with a carbide blade to cut laminate. You can get a miter saw for as little as $100 that will do what you need. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

what have you heard? Does the glueless hold water?

a fine toothed saw? How many teeth? I already have a 10" mitre saw...

Reply to
Howie

what is the brand of laminate flooring that you have? I have read that it depends on the brand you have...

Reply to
Howie

I did laminate in my whole house. Never again for me. Tile is the only way. Dogs jumping up and down put dents in the surface. Spills in the kitchen caused panic for me. I sealed the cabinets and the floor in the kitchen and still was not comfortable with the situation

Good luck,

Reply to
SQLit

Ceramic tiles in the kitchen are uncomfortable. Cold, and hard on your feet and legs. Water on a good quality laminate floor will not cause ANY problems.

David

LFR wrote:

Reply to
David

We have Wilson Art laminate in our kitchen, which I installed about 4-5 years ago. It looks as good as when it was installed. It is glued together and isn't damaged by moderate amounts of water sitting on it in puddles until wiped up or 'til they evaporate. I'm not so sure the click together type are safe to use in a kitchen. There are plenty of good quality brands. The ones I didn't like were the cheap click together type and Pergo. You can even get laminates that look like stone tiles.

David

Howie wrote:

Reply to
David

What abt good quality cork flooring in a kitchen?

I hear its very durable and warm to the feet

Reply to
me6

: I did laminate in my whole house. Never again for me. Tile is the only way. : Dogs jumping up and down put dents in the surface. Spills in the kitchen : caused panic for me. I sealed the cabinets and the floor in the kitchen and : still was not comfortable with the situation

Must be some damn big dogs. I've had laminate for over 5 yrs and yet to dent the stuff, but have chipped a couple of spots though.

: Good luck,

Reply to
kmy

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote: : What abt good quality cork flooring in a kitchen?

: I hear its very durable and warm to the feet

I have cork in the bedroom and it is warm to the feet, but it is soft material and can be easily nicked by dropped pots/pans in the kitchen. I would recommend plain old sheet vinyl, cheap and durable.

Reply to
kmy

I have a 12" saw and used a 60T blade, so a 40T would be about right on a

10". I recently lent the saw to someone to do laminate and the blade had to be re-sharpened when done. It is tough stuff to cut.

If you have door jambs and the moldings to slide under, there is a dovetail saw with an offset handle that cuts them easily. It was maybe $12 at Home Depot.

I see a few others posted their dissatisfaction with laminate. My WilsonArt had been down about 7 years now. It looks as good today as the day it was installed and it is in the most heavily traveled section of the house and on the main stairs. Others suggested tiles. I like ceramic tile but it has downsides also. Depends on the look you want to achieve as the end result Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I bought 8.5 mm flooring, by Kaindl.... glueless variety.

have any comments on this product? Should I glue high traffic areas of kitchen like in front of the sink?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

I've had hardwood, then ceramic tile and now Wilsonart Estate Plus laminate floor in my kitchen. It doesn't have to be glued but they recommend you use glue in potentially wet areas and we did near the sink and dishwasher. I would recommend this to anyone for the kitchen. No problems at all after almost two years and clean up is a breeze. You get what you pay for in laminate flooring as in most things and I wouldn't go with cheap stuff.

I bought mine through DIYflooring.com and their prices were terrific. I have no connection with DIY other than as a customer.

Reply to
CAStinneford

I had Mannington snap together laminate flooring put in my parents condo. It is nice but the pre finished Oak floors in my house are nicer looking if you are willing to live with the occassional ding. After 7 years we are still happy with the bruces floors in the kitchen even with the dings.

But if you want laminate definitely used snap. Mannington can be snapped and unsnapped unlimited times and edges are treated to be moisture resistent. Also they give good support by phone or on the web. Some other brands are a snap once product or a snap no more than 3 times product. Unlimited is better.

Reply to
Art

areas

The link you provided is the _preglued_ system, you must activate it when installing. Did you provide the wrong link or is this what you bought?

Reply to
Fat Al

hmmm... What brand did you use? There's good laminate material, and there is LOUSY. The good stuff is VERY durable, including anything a dog can dish out.

David

SQLit wrote:

Reply to
David

I'm doing a survey of laminate flooring at

Come take a look. If you have any help reviews that would be great too.

Cheers, tim

Reply to
Tim

you are right, it is a pre-glued product.. are these pre-glued products any good?

Reply to
Howie

"Howie" wrote

I'm not familiar with this brand. I've installed Pergo which has pre-glued on certain systems. On Pergo the glue turns a different color when you apply water by the applicator, so you know you didn't miss any. I think the pre-glued is an excellent choice for installing in wet areas such as kitchen or bath.

Reply to
Fat Al