Laminate flooring and radon

Im still having Radon problems here. There are a few areas between the flooring and the trim where there are gaps like this -

Even though that gap looks big........just on the outside of that picture on both ends, the flooring and trim meet perfectly tight. Any ideas on what to use to seal that gap tightly ? Theres a couple sections that look like that.

Im guess I have to chaulk everywhere where the trim meets the sheetrock...but not sure what to do for the above image where the trim meets the flooring?

I have the same radon levels that I had before the flooring was installed. (7.0 ) This is a bummer.

They used radon plastic and padding as well with the 1/2 inch thick laminate flooring. This gas is impossible to get arid of. The readings in the crawl space were low too.

Reply to
john

Haven't seen the original thread. Is the crawl space ventilated/ Is there plastic sheeting directly in contact with the ground and sealed at every place where the pipes go through the sheeting?

Reply to
hrhofmann

The radon is produced by natural events beyond your control and (this is the point) it keeps on coming regardless of what you do.

Thus, unless you either provide ventilation to dilute the stuff and get it outside of your home, sealing will not have much effect.

That's why some folks with basement end up having holes drilled in the slab and they draw air under the slab and blow that air outside in the hope that the air will sweep up the radon before it enters the living space.

As another poster mentioned, if you have a crawl space, you can that space ventilated a much as you can manage. You want that space as open at the support needed for the home permits.

Putting plastic on the ground will not help much unless you arrange ventilation under the plastic because, as said, the gas just keeps on coming. You either create an easy way for it to vent to the atmosphere or it will find its own way.

Some folks with very bad luck have found that there is so much local randon than on "still" days, the outside air isn't good for the health.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer

Did you put anything over the walls to keep Radon out?

Reply to
John Grabowski

On Jun 9, 7:31=EF=BF=BDam, "John Grabowski" wrote:=

e sections that

=BF=BD The readings

OP needs a radon mtigation contractor with underslab ventilation......

but how high is the radon number?

Reply to
hallerb

John,

Did you put laminate flooring down to mitigate radon? Why? Your floor isn't going to make your house gas tight. There's no plastic to prevent the gas from entering through non-floor areas (like walls, service closets, et c.). If a contractor recommended this you should speak with a lawyer

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

did you know about the radon problem before putting down the laminate?

appearance before function:(

like my laminate just got ruined by water, but my basement only gets wet occasionally........

the time to fix radon and water is before finishing the space.

Reply to
hallerb

Alright pretend I dont have any radon problems, would paintable chaulk be recommended to fill in the gap in the picture... And then paint it as close as possible to match ?

Your telling me Sheetrock doesnt block this ?

My levels right now are around 7.0 (legal limits are below 4.0) I knew about this radon issue before the laminate..and it was the RADON guy that actually said I wouldnt need him if the laminate flooring was done correctly. As it would block all the gas.....I guess not ? I thought of him as a good guy for recommending that and not taking his business..most people wouldnt do that.

So anyway, since I have Radiant Heating, he said the only place to drill down and draw air out is underneath my garage. Im just not convinced that will lower my levels significantly. My basement is about 1000 square feet and the garage is right next to it.. How will drilling straight down in the garage draw the gas out 40 left of there ?

Reply to
john

=EF=BF=BD I knew

=BDI thought of

sheetrock doesnt blck radon.......

radiant heating mkes it tough, but drilling in garage would likely help, espically a newer home with a gravel bed under the slab floor.

the radon would be sucked between the gravel stones. under slight vacuum to the exit, above roof level.

laminate flooring and sheetrock dont stop radon gas, since its a gas it travels verywhere thru tiny cracks.

Reply to
hallerb

Your saying 2 different things here. Cracks are different then the solid material. So either your talking about the cracks...or your talking about the material ? Im sure there are people here that would disagree with you penetrating through sheetrock..... or half inch think flooring that has padding and 6 mill. plastic.

Reply to
john

Drilling through the floor could be a problem with radiant heat, however repairs are frequently made to radiant heat in concrete floors. Drilling is fast, but could pierce the tubing, hand chiseling could slowly cut into the concrete and be able to find the tubes and penetrate between them. It is slow work and you still may damage the tubes so be prepared to have someone on call who can repair any damage quickly.

Reply to
EXT

On Jun 9, 9:55=EF=BF=BDpm, "john" wrot= e:

disagree with you

Well radon is getting thru the concrete?

Radon can pass thru tiny cracks in concrete, plastic etc.

Its near IMPOSSIBLE to seal it out:( In a basement or crawl space it can pass up thru the voids in concrete blocks, cracks that can come and go where concrete floors meet block walls, any penetration of concrete floor, like bolts holding bottom plate for wood wall, etc etc. cant seal under a plate....

plus the laminate plastic underlayment probably isnt perfect, all seems taped, seacured to walls etc. and even if it was no guarantee that movement would dislodge it or make it porous someday.......

drill into the non heated garage side, the slight vacuumn should help

if thats not enough turn on radiant heat use infared sensor to find cool spots in floor to drill thru.

they shouldnt of heated behind walls or likely closets.

theres lots of ways to accomplish this.......

Reply to
hallerb

wow, thats the first time I ever heard of that one. The infrared can see through concrete ?

I always thought quite the opposite..that once something goes back with the radiant heating (pipe breaks or whatever) its over and will never be the same. Didnt know it could be repaired reasonably.

Reply to
john

When the heat is turned on the lines will be hot and the infared sensor will see the heat of the lines. The concrete floor around the lines will be colder, especially when the heat is first turned on. YOu could probably feel the differance with your hand.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I had a slight radon issue in my basement. Long term level about 4.5. I was talking to a friend of mine thinking that my sump pit needed sealing and venting. He looked around and told me that my main problem was the concrete floor. He mentioned that there is a special seal called Radon Sealer that would lower my radon levels. Well I investigated, bought and applied the radon sealer per instructions. My radon levels now very from .50 to 1.6. With my long term average (currently more than two weeks) at 1.36. Hope that helps.

Reply to
sillyoneto